A Mexican-Colombian Salad


Have you ever had a recipe born out of absence of ingredients ?  

I usually do substitutions and that involves using one ingredient over another-- the latter I reject, either because I don't quite like it or its too expensive or its not available or it has high calorie. But that is not the sort of situation that I am talking about today. I am talking about situation involving real absence of ingredients that I had the full intention of using.

Without much ado, let me give you the entire story. 

I love this blog and this blogger. It is Erica of My Colombian recipes. She has the most flavorful and lovely assortment of Colombian food on her blog. And best part is it is simple to make and great to look at. So a few days back I saw this incredibly colorful salad on her blog and decided that I absolutely have to do this.  I had all the ingredients it featured. Chickpeas, onion, tomato etc. I am not a big fan of Avocado and so decided that cucumber would be the only substitution I would go for. I surely had cucumber in my pantry. So me...dreaming of this lovely salad on Friday night. This was the Friday we just flew by.

On my way home, I quickly drop into the grocery store to get the shrimp. That was the only ingredient I had to get. Or so I thought. Well...not so fast. Turned  out that other than Shrimp, tomato, onion and eggs I had  no other ingredient! Not the cucumber and definitely not the chickpeas and beans. The cans which I thought hosted these legumes actually had in them varieties of olives!  Why did I have so many olives??

Am I glad that I did not have chicpeas :) I had two fresh corns. And that changed the salad. A bit mor emexican than I indtended. But so delocious! A simple salad dish born out of absence of ingredients! who says less isn't more?

Ingredients for the salad

Two ears of fresh corn. Clean the skin etc of te corn and with a knife carefully slice away the pods along the length of the corn.  Microwave the corns for a good 1 minute. Just takes of that rawness a bit . You can use frozen ones of course. 
2 tomatoes. Diced
1 medium red or yellow onion. Diced
Half a cup of cilantro
2-3 cloves of garlic. Diced finely.
Half a cup of cooked shrimp. 

The marinade is the same as Erica's Colombian salad.
Garnish with two boiled eggs, cut into half.

A lovely mexican-columbian salad...to be enjoyed with a glass of wine and peace of mind :)



Happy eating and healthy living


Comments

Shabs.. said…
Hi my dear,
thanks for stopping by my bloggie.....These days i have been thinking lot abuot salads and including more veggies in our diet and iam running out of recipes simply cos i dont collect them....Shhhh...not a salad person myself!.....BTW, that salad looks real appetizing!

Love,
shabs.
The JR said…
Great sounding recipe. This is one that I know I would enjoy.
Jhonny walker said…
Hey Shabs

I am not a salad person too..but I love cooked veggies...Just a tiny little cooked though. I put up a lot of veggie recipes too. Some of them really appetizing

@ Ramona: Glad you like it :)
looks great love Ericas blog as well thanks so much for coming on holiday with me

Love Rebecca
Substituting happens all the time. It comes from eating food that's not local and that craving I can't always confine. :)
Erica said…
Thank you so much for this post! Your salad sounds delicious.
Astra Libris said…
Thank you so much for your comments on my blog! I'm so glad you brought me to your beautiful blog! I loved reading the story of this gorgeous salad! I too have had several great recipes evolve out of ingredients I thought I had in my pantry and then didn't... Here's to improvising! :-)
Jhonny walker said…
@ Rebecca: you kidding? holidays are my thing forever :)

@ Murasaki : I know that feeling

@Astra : cheers to that..and you are beautiful you know that right?
Anonymous said…
Great article Thank

you so much!

Popular Posts