Chicken stew-- one for the lazy holidays



Memorial day is past. And oddly enough I was looking at the calender, longing for 4th of july weekend. And this from a person who does not even hold a regular gruelling 9-5 job and can go or not go to work without anybody asking for an explanation. The perks of being a final year graduate student, I guess :) But even then, there is hardly anything better than an 'official' holiday. Late mornings and lazy days in coffee shops. And with the weather warming up it is indeed the best days to have officially declared holidays.

I don't know about you guys, but I don't like to spend any bit of time in kitchen on lazy holidays. I did mention before that cooking to me is sort of a way to destress. And on holidays, since there is not stress, the very basic need to cook goes away. I love to bake on those days or make light soups. Food that fill up the house with light fragrant aroma. This weekend was one such. I baked a lovely nutty cranberry crumb cake. But before that I made a huge pot of Stew.  Lots of fresh veggies, chicken and tofu..just a bit spiced up.

Trust me...the house smelt of goodness and lightness. Here this is what it looked like. And with this stew ready, it was fun relaxing in the backyard with a book and some green tea.  To me , this is the perfect way to spend a lazy sunny day when you have been officially granted a day off :)





There is nothing much to do, except collect the ingredients

 4 chicken drumsticks. You can also use tons of other veggies ( beans, carrots, beets) to make it a vegie stew.
 extra firm tofu. Cubed. Optional
1 Medium onion. Chopped
2 big tomato. Chopped
1 big bell pepper. Coasrsely chopped
1 Jalapeno. sliced
2 cloves of garlic. Chopped
A bit of ginger: chopped.
1 small potato: cubed very small for quick cooking
Juice of half a lime

A few whole black peppers
2 Bay leaf
1 tbsf coriander powder.
1/2 tsp of corn flour or regular all purpose flour.  Whisk in half a cup of water and use for thickening agent

Salt for seasoning


Put all ingredient, except the Tofu, lemon juice and flour, in a big pot and fill up with water till all the ingredients are submerged.. Cover and heat till everything is done. About 15 minutes. Take the lid off and add the whisked flour and mix well. Let it heat for a couple of more minutes. Turn off the heat and Add a bit of lemon juice.

You have this lovely flavorful simple stew in the kitchen and the day is your's to enjoy

Happy eating and healthy living!


Comments

That's a great looking stew! (till I got to the tofu, but easily substituted for real food).

Seriously, great holiday sittin around meal!
The JR said…
I can see where this would be a very fragrant stew.

We just had sandwiches. Too much going on and too hot to cook.
Jhonny walker said…
Year on the grill: The moment I write tofu..I know you are gonna quip :) :) :)

Ramona: I love hot weather..love love love
Sounds delicious!
FH said…
YUM!Sounds yummilicious!Cooking is a grand exercise for the mind, body an soul, enjoy! :)
thank you, for your kind comments on my blog :-)
ann low said…
Looks simple and delicious!
Dewi said…
Love a simple dish like this on a lazy sunday. Especially if I can share it with friends and family.
That is a wholesome bowl of stew! What can go in there is endless!
Sunitha said…
That does sound yum! Simple and delicious I should say.
Sounds delicious with the ginger and jalapeno. My kind of dish for sure.
Sam
Jhonny walker said…
Hello everyone

Thanks for the suggetsions and glad you like enough to come up with a few tips too!! :) :)
La Bella Cooks said…
I agree, holidays are not meant for slaving away in the kitchen! I am loving the ginger in there. Yum!
Velva said…
A perfect and simple stew to enjoy. This was a great way to enjoy the holidays. Thanks for sharing.
I agree with you that cooking is a great way to de-stress.

Your stew looks fantastic, I bet it aroma while it was cooking drove your neighbors crazy!
Jhonny walker said…
Hey Bridgett, Katherina and velva,

Thanks for sharing the stew :)

Kathy I must tell you that the fragrance did drive the neighbor's dog a bit crazy :)
Simplicity is important. There are some complicated dishes I have made that turned out great but I was exhausted after making them. lol

This looks very nice. :)
Camilla Baker said…
HI I have just found your blog, you have a great voice, I'll be stopping by again and this chicken looks awesome...right up my alley, thanks!

Popular Posts