Garlic-mustard Chicken


Wasabi and Mustard. Feeling the welcome sting at the back of your head? 

Thats's the selling point of today's recipe. You know, I love mustard. In the United states, I feel however, that the sharp quality of mustard is somewhat compromised. Initially I thought it was just me being used to a sharper quality of mustard in India. But then I vistited Corsica a couple of years back I noticed they use the same sharp mustard I was so used to in India. Infact the mustard that I had on my trip was not even gourmet. Just satches that come with your burgers. It was incredible.

So when I returned I kept using mustard that I could buy from Asian groceries. Till of course I figured out a way of making my own version of it, using regular store bought ingredients. Wasabi. Mixing a bit of wasabi with yellow or brown mustard makes all the difference.

This recipe is one which illustrates the fantasticness of that combination. It is simple to make. And gives off an exotic flavor but touching taste points we associate with the comfort of sour cream and mustard-- in a healthy way :)

So here we go. Garlic-mustard chicken-- one with a sharf edge :)

Ingredients:

2 lb of chicken. You can also use turkey. I would perefr to have bone in, skinless. But do whatever you  find. Or for vegetarian option you can use Tofu cubes, fried or grilled.
2 tbsf mustard seed. This will complement the mustard that we are going to put in the marinade. But feel free to opt out of it.
1 bay leaf.
1/2 a cup of cilantro for garnish. Optional. Tip: you can also use the stems. Has tons of flavor. And looks cute too

For the marinade

1/2 a cup of yoghurt. For more density,you can use sour cream too. 
6-7 cloves of garlic crushed. Go low on the garlic if you feel this is overwhelming
3-4 tbsf of mustard. Yellow or brown.
1/2 tbsf of wasabi paste. Opt out of it, if you don't like sharp quality in your mustard.
A pinch of turmeric for color. optional

Instead of using a combination of wasabi and yellow mustard, you can use mustard powder from the spice aisle (slightly more expensive) or from an Indian grocery. The latter two have the sharp quality I am talking about.

1/2 to 3/4 cup of hot water.
Salt and pepper for seasoning
2 tbsf oil.Any is good.

All you do is marinade and cook!

Well, really all there is to it is marinading. Mix all ingredients of marinade. Marinate your chicken/tofu very well in the marinade and let sit for at least 10 mins. Longer the better. In a deep skillet, heat oil and pop the bayleaf and mustard seeds. Wait for a few seconds for the aroma. Carefully add the chicken peices, spread them all over the skillet and let them be. Be careful about any oil squirts, something you can expect because of water in the marinade hitting the hot oil. Wait for a couple of minutes to allow nice caramelization of the chicken on one side. After you see the caramelization, start moving the pieces to cook evenly on all surfaces. ~ 5-7 minutes. Mix in some hot water into the container where you marinaded te chicken. Whisk together the water with left over marinade and slowly pour that down in the skilet. Deglaze with the liquid. Season with salt and water. Cover and cook stirring intermittently for 20 minutes on low heat. Add extra water if you see things sticking to the bottom.  When chicken is done,take it off the stove and garnish with cilantro. 

Serve with some jasmine rice or good quality Pita bread. Some lettuce on the side is good too :)

Comfort food with some sharpness and an exotic twist--- in a tbsf oil :) or a couple in this case 





Happy eating and healthy living!




Comments

The JR said…
You're right about the mustard not being what it use to be. I keep buying different brands to find one that has that tart/sharpness that I remember growing up.

I'm afraid even being 1/2 Japanese I don't like wasabi.

I luv mustard, but not anything with that horseradish taste.
This is very interesting! When my fiancé visited from France, I was concerned he might not like the taste of our food, even if it was the same foods he was used to, because of how the same food varies in taste from country to country. The reasons can be just as varied; How the soil tastes, what animals are fed, what went into growing the food the animals eat, how the water is treated, manufacturing, et alii. It's been said that the manufacturing/production of Americans' food started to change about 25 years ago in an effort to make food cheaper, able to be produced more quickly, which is alarming unto itself, but also, food began to include ingredients that would dull our taste buds and get us addicted. That was the main reason I started making as much of my own food as I could from scratch, and avoiding processed foods as much as I could. Though, in the annals of truth, I still sometimes enjoy a bag of doritos. ;-)
You often hear about someone going to a country and falling in love with a food, only to be saddened they can't recreate the same flavor at home, even if following a recipe exactly. It really makes you think...

Your chicekn looks absolutely delicious! Your picture is beautiful. It should be bigger, it's so beautiful! I love the kick of wasabi. What a clever addition.
olive said…
wasabi and mustard..very interesting combination, looks delicious but to be honest I am not a big fan of wasabi but I'm putting this on my must-try list ;)
You know - I love mustard seeds but avoid mustard (the yellow paste) like the plague!
Jhonny walker said…
Hey!!

This is a pleasant set of comments

@ Ramona and Olive: The wasabi is ABSOLUTELY optional and you can totally do wit with brown mustard or actually the mustard powder

@ Murasaki: smiles smiles smiles...I love mustard see way better than yellow paste...but the powder is a different thing!

@ Ree: I cannot agree more with you. Happens with hungarian food. I have this fren who gave me authentic hungrian paprika from budapest. And trust me the stuff I make with it is very different than the gourmet quality paprika I buy from the store :)
Trish said…
Oh I do love a bit of zing and this looks like it has a tad more than a 'bit'. What a great combination my friend. I love something original and different like this.

BTW...did you get my invitation to my private journaling on the island? If not, please email me and I will forward it again. I'd love for you to come along.
Reeni said…
This sounds like just the thing to zest up chicken! I have only had wasabi all on its own - never integrated into a dish like this. I bet it's really delicious!
tinyskillet said…
I'm a big mustard fan too. I loved it when I went to France and on all the table in the restaurants they would have this wonderful spicy mustard. I always look for the spicy mustard here and your right it just doesn't have the same "kick" to it. I try to get horseradish mustard which has a similar heat to wasabi. I use wasabi in mayo and buy wasabi mustard when I can find it, but this is a great idea adding it to your own mustard.

I will definitely try this chicken! It looks great!
I never heard of chicken and mustard..mustard was always something you have with fish...........so this recipe struck me as really odd..nevertheless I was pinning for some sharp tasting food.....and decided to give this one a try.and it was fantastic..........!and the best part was that it was really easy to make......you just have to marinate and cook.....thanks a ton! great recipe...but i did not add the wasabi as I was using indian mustard which is anyway sharp in taste
theUngourmet said…
I would definitely be up for trying this recipe. I love wasabi!
Erica said…
The marinade sounds delicious!!!!Wonderful flavors.
Life like it said…
Wl hv to try this one...never tried chicken w/ mustard....sounds like fast & easy prep:)

Popular Posts