Crabmeat in minutes


Every once in a while...a man (also a woman) needs to get into unchartered territories. And if that woman is me, then that is, all the time. This  character trait shows up in all spheres of my life. I am always always intrigued by curious things. They do not have to be curious to everyone. Just looking a bit off the track to me--works!  I am always taking little short trips up the hill that I pass on my way to the lab..taking that little dirt rad that trails off the main road. Sometimes there is really nothing worthwhile that I find. It is the walk that I have enjoyed. And at other times I end up finding real shortcuts. Or a plant maybe. Or a house which has a strange pond in the backyard. This one time last year, I actually found a lovely wooden bench  just off the street near a local teashop that became one of my favorite haunts for the rest of ...well, of my life actually :) You see what I mean.  No big adventure-- though I treat them as if they are-- but gives me immense pleasure. I guess that is what transpires into my work, hobbies, cooking...:)

Groceries, are no different. In fact, they are wonder store houses for me, So many things to choose from. 'Honey, and milk and chocolate' as Pooh would say. It is because of this habit, I have found out so many fruits, veggies and fish that I love-- plums, peaches, figs, catfish, salmon, mussels, Chantilly--and so much more. You see I grew up in India where so many of these things were not present.  So all these things that are common place were to me one day very interestingly curious. Give me anything local and fresh and I am up for it.

This week I went to the grocery to get some Trout. You all know of my obsession with Trout :). And while the butcher was weighing out my fish, my eyes caught a sight of crab meat. I know they are always there. But I have never bought them really. Okay, maybe once or twice, long time back to make some soup. But that's about it. Nothing of any major value. But that day I just knew what I wanted to try out with those. I got half a pound of it. Some went into the very palatable shagemein and the rest went to this little dish.

I think it is great as a side dish, as a starter, as a filler in sammies and tortilla...And takes so little time :)

Here you are. No big deal really. But I found one easy way to make a flavorful recipe.. that is the fun :)

Ingredients:

1/2 lb crab meat. Shredded coarsely. You can substitute with the 'imitation crabmeat' as well. Will turn out equally well. With a lower price tag :)

1 big bunch ( 6-7 stalks) of green onions or scallions
2 medium size tomatoes. Diced
1.5 cups of parsley
2 cloves of garlic. Minced

1 tbsf olive oil
1 tbsf  smoked paprika. You can use any paprika you have got.
2 cloves.

1 tbsf lemon juice
Salt  and pepper for seasoning

All you do-- needs 5 minutes

Heat oil in a skillet. When oil is hot add the garlic, cloves, tomatoes, parsley, and green onion. Saute for ~ 2 mins. Add the crab meat and paprika. Saute so that everything mixes well. Cook for 2-3 minutes. Add the lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper. Take it off the stove.

You are done. Healthy. Pretty. Flavorful. Versatile. As I have said before, you can use it as a side dish, appetizer, filler-- you can fill up a warm tortilla bread with some lettuce, tomato and this crabmeat. Makes for a wonderful wonderful healthy snack. I wish I had a picture to show you how good that looks inside a tortilla. That way you can flavor up your lunch routine :) I do that






Curiosity dosen't always kill the cat


Happy eating and healthy living!

Comments

Anonymous said…
Hi J, Oh I love the wooden bench place you talk of. I am JUST like that...find a quaint little spot like that...and its mine, all mine ! : ) ....whats more.. I love crab meat, LOVE IT ! and I love quick dishes...probably a bit more...which makes this dish PERFECT...I would love it tucked in a nice toasty whole wheat pita...goodness gracious !

Also I need to get some smoked paprika...the regular stuff is not doing it for me anymore.
Abatevintage said…
Wow that sounds like a delightful walk you went on, and an intriging bench you rested upon. I don't have quiet neighborhoods to visit and explore, it sounds like something out of a novel, or a movie; what delight.

Have a wonderful weekend.


Blessings,
Heidi
Arlene Delloro said…
I love crab and your version sounds delightful. I, too, like going down a different path and have found many lovely places in my travels.
Palidor said…
Oh, that looks delish! I love fresh crab meat, but would you believe that no supermarkets sell it? They sell that imitation stuff made from ground up cheap white fish.

I'm all for experimenting with new ingredients, and you really have nothing to lose. That's the beauty of food. If you don't like it, no big deal. But if you never go out of your comfort zone, then you miss out on a whole lot!
ann low said…
Mmmm...yummy. I would like this to go with wraps.
BonjourRomance said…
Crab is my favorite seafood. When my sister and I were kids we used to 'go crabbing' on a little jetty in Virginia - my mother made fantastic crabcakes, but I zill defintely give these a try, they look delicious. Really enjoyed your story.
Kim said…
I love the preparation for crab. It sounds delicious. I also love wondering around and discovering new foods at the grocery store. The right grocery store can be a foodie's paradise.
This sounds yummy, but I'm looking for a nice aubergine curry or some kind now. Do you happen to have something on your blog that you could direct me to? :)
Heather S-G said…
Oh, gorgeous!!
Mae said…
This sounds like a great way to get all the best flavor that a good crab cake has without all the fuss. And it's prettier!

I'm so with you on curiosity in the grocery, especially if it's filled with things you didn't grow up with.

Love the story, love the recipe!
radha said…
The recipe seems so good. It is years since I had crab. And now I have turned vegetarian - but who knows if there is a crab dish around, I might for a few seconds be tempted ( and give in) !
I agree with you...curiosity doesn't always kill the cat. See, I hate celery but have discovered the joys of celeriac - if you don't go, you don't know!
Velva said…
Isn't life beautiful that way...Waiting to be discovered and rediscovered over and over again.
NKP said…
I never think to buy crab meat either - I will have to change that. Sounds delicious!
Erica said…
I love crab! That sounds delicious! I enjoy going to supermarkets and visiting all the International aisles :)
The JR said…
I could eat crab everyday. It looks good.

Popular Posts