Scallop Tangerine (Guest blog)


He is a scientist and a chef with an eye for 'healthy culinary experimentation'. She is scientist with a knack for photography. Together they form a lethal duo. This post is combination of his culinary prowess and her photography skills :)

It is with great pleasure, I present to you today a long time freind-- the incredible chef, 'C B', all the way from Florida. And he brings to us-- tangerines of course :)
  

---“An ‘amateur’ is generally considered a person attached to a particular pursuit, study, or science, without pay and often without formal training.” - this definition aptly describes my stature in the culinary world. By profession (if one can call this is a profession) I am a chemist and so I mix chemicals. My culinary creations are actually ‘experiments’ …only in this case I mix spices, herbs, spirits, and condiments to create something which would satiate a curious mind and also might satisfy some taste buds. When  JW  invited me to contribute a guest post for her blog, I agreed readily--- so here I am writing out a recipe, which is my creation to the best of my knowledge. If any of you have seen this exact recipe anywhere else then “any resemblance to preexisting recipe is purely coincidental and this fellow does not bear the responsibility of plagiarism” :) :)
I am a big fan of seafood and have been experimenting with different kinds of seafood for a long time. Since there are a lot of shrimp recipes floating all over the web so thought of trying something new and  hence “Scallop” - an excellent source of vitamins, omega 3 fatty acids and lots of other goodies.

Scallop Tangerine

Ingredients:

½ pounds sea scallops
½ large red onion
2 cloves of garlic
2 green chillies
1 orange (I generally use Tangerine variety but any other kind will work equally well)
2 tbs canola oil
¼ cup vodka
1 scallion

Directions:

Cut the red onions into very thin slices, mince the garlic, and split the green chillies length wise. Once these are done, pat dry the scallops. On a non-stick pan heat 2 tbs of  canola oil. Lightly fry the scallops (approx. 2-3 mins) and make sure not to over-fry them. Remove the scallops from the pan and set aside. Add the onions and sauté over medium heat for 3-5 mins, so that onions are softened but not burned. Add the minced garlic for ½ -1 min and add the light fried scallops back into the pan. Add some orange zest and orange juice onto the pan (before you squeeze the orange save 1-2 slices of this orange for garnishing). Let it simmer for 2-3 mins and then add the vodka (the magic potion). Stir intermittently for another 3-4 mins and when the ‘spirit starts to evaporate’ its time to get it off the heat. Serve it on a flat dish and garnish with a slice of orange and chopped scallions.



-----


I am not sure about you guys...but a tangerine recipe from the land of tangarines looks great and ready to eat....I am trying this one tonight. Thanks CB!

Happy eating and healthy living


Photograph: Courtesy Pinki Mondol

Comments

Tasty Trix said…
Yum! And also the vodka doesn't hurt ; )
Looks fantastic, love the sound of the ingredients. This one is on my list!!
Jhonny walker said…
Hey Trix and Brownieville girl,

I would totally make this! And its on me list too :)
It looks delicious! And perfect for summer. =)
Nice, very, very nice!!
Erica said…
That dish sounds and looks really scrumptious.. will try it :)
Unknown said…
Looks fantastic, I would like to enjoy it on my patio
Jhonny walker said…
Hey everyone!

I guess its orangy week for many of us here :)

Thanks a lot for the yummy comments!
wow this looks awesome great post
The JR said…
I love scallops and this sounds great.
buffalodick said…
Sounds tasty and bright with flavor!

Popular Posts