Stir-fry that perks up your bad days :)


I am honestly not looking forward to today. Hopefully by the end of today, I will have finished a horrible chunk of dirty lab work. But if that happens, I will be coated in coral dust (my newly washed hair gone to dogs and my lovely outfit ready for the laundry). This can't be happening to me and I am so not reday for it :( :(
As I write this post, it is honestly going to be the best part of the day..at least till 3-4 PM. And on such a very tiring morning as this, it is best to think of..right..good and nice comforting food :) See, I am already smiling. And no points for guessing, but I do have in mind a dish, which I made only a couple of weeks ago, after returning from an equally tiring day at the lab. But it was the end of the day. But on the flip side, it was in cambridge cold. So more or less we are on the same page. A beautiful morning in California with a dust covered day awaiting me against a tiring day at the lab followed by walking in intense cold in Boston. And what made that day end nice, was a simple dish I concocted off my weariness. I am sure just writing about it today, would take the sting off this rather sunny nice morning :)

So here is to a dish that makes a bad day..somewhat nice :)

Ingredients

2 Potatoes- sliced up. You can also use yams.
A big bunch of green beans all chopped up
1 big tomato- coarsely chopped. 
1 Jalapeno- coarsely chopped. Optional
2 cloves of garlic- minced

1 tbsf cumin powder
1 tbsf hot paprika
1 tbsf brown mustard


2 tbsf Olive oil. You can use regular oil too
Salt and black pepper to season
Lemon wedges for garnish

Here is what you do-- stir fry :)

In a big skillet that is :) However, first bake your sliced potatoes/ yams at 420F in the oven for 15 mins 
(don't forget to pre-heat your oven for a good 10 mins).  Okay, now take your non-stick skillet.  Heat oil and add baked potatoes, tomato and green beans. Stir-fry for 2-3 mins. Add the minced garlic, jalapeno, hot paprika, cumin and mustard and stir fry for another 2 mins. Reduce heat to lowest and cook for another 5 mins, with occasional stirring to prevent sticking to the bottom. You may add bits and bobs of water to prevent sticking. I do that. Once done season with the salt, pepper. Give everything a good shimmy shake and serve hot. Garnish with lemon or parsley or coriander. It is your bad day. So go crazy :)

Nothing like freshness of veggies in a flavorful stir-fry to perk up rotten days




Happy eating and healthy living!





Comments

The JR said…
Oh girl, you should see me after a day of working at the house. I would scare the Boogie Monster.

Glad you thought of something to brighten up your day. Also, remember it's so very nice to have a job in these hard days right now.

My hubby is self employed and right now we are so lucky he's had work. But, if the economy gets any worse, it could be bad.

Enjoy your meal.
Bob said…
Sounds like a great, comforting dish. Course, one of the reasons I love Boston is the cold winters, but my girlfriend keeps telling me I'm insane. ;)
Jhonny walker said…
@ Ramona:- I am a Phd student and thankfully have not had to deal with economic crises. But I know what you mean :)

@ Bob: I adore cambridge. Only for summer and fall. The winter is HORRIBLE :)
very comforting - very comforting indeed!
ann low said…
A comforting and healthy dish ~ I love it!
Kim said…
Isn't it amazing the power that a good meal has? Sounds great.
This is a wonderful home alone tv dinner meal :)
Hope your day is getting better :)
PJ said…
I know what you mean, the day sometimes just can get so out of control. sounds like my day today, well, pat yourself on the back that you atlteast got this delicious stir fry cooked up at the end of the day, I just gave in and ordered some fish curry from my local thai place. Your Stir fry looks delicious and perfectly cooked!
Sayantani said…
this happens to me almost everyday. am tired and have to cook dinner. even today was a bad day for me. but had to cook for tomorrow as well. the stir fries look so good. great to munch on watching TV.
We love stir-fry. My husband enjoys tossing and shoveling everything around in the wok. You're right. This dish sounds perfect at the end of the day after a long, tiring day at work.
Sam
Anonymous said…
A delicious stir-fry! Sounds just the perfect food at the end of a tough day!
looks great love the way you use Paprika, it must be busy for you at the lab, but thanks for what you do research makes the World a better place Rebecca
Unknown said…
I'm in Western Mass. and the high out here today is predicted to be 28! I'm going to need something warm & comforting tonight - this looks like it fills the bill! Delish!
Julie said…
I don't think I've ever had stir fry with potatoes in it, but it totally works for me!
LexEat! said…
I do like substituting yams or sweet potato (depending on where you are they seem to sometimes be the same thing!) for potatoes - for both colour and flavour!

This looks yummy. Hope your day didn't turn out to be as bad as expected.
Your job actually sounds pretty interesting. What are you researching?
Erica said…
I love cumin and paprika! That sounds delicious.
Erica said…
I love cumin and paprika! That sounds delicious.

Popular Posts