Jazz up your signature-- with a pretty stir-fry :)


I have a problem. My tummy is not being very co-operative in terms of trying out a varaity of food. Can there be a bigger disaster on a trip to food land? I guess the possibilities are endless :) So I am now a days on very mild food and that means I am exercising my own wishes. As I am the self proclaimed queen of low calorie cooked food :) :)

What comes to mind is stir fry. I love stir fry. For not only is it easy peasy to make, please with and easy on the tummy, it is one great way to jazz up any main course dish. This, I found out only recently. How? That is an interesting story.

So my father pretends to be a big time foodie. He eats very less. But he likes to think of himself as one big eater. And keeps complaining that he never has enough varaity. Okay. So I make my signature dishes. Some of which does not go well with him. I have a feeling, he is not into trying out a varaity in the first place. So I came up with this novel Idea. I marinate fih, chicken etc in a marinade. Any standard ( ginger-garlic-cumun for example) and bake it. So no varaity there. But then I stir fry veggies in a varaity of  spice combinations and just throw it over the meat. And boy he loves it. He even thinks all are different dishes!!

So here is a stir fry I really liked. And I used an inredient I love. Poppy seeds. What great flavorcan you get out of em'.  And you know...you have a finicky eater on hand with a big ego-- here's the magic  wand :) Throw it over your oft repeated signature dish...and you have a new dish every single day!

Ingredients

1 big onion- coarsely sliced
1 big bell pepper- coarsely chopped
3 hard boiled eggs- Coarsely chopped

1/2 tsp of ginger finely chopped
2-3 cloves of garlic. Minced
1 tsp of smoked paprika
1 tsp of poppy seeds. If you haven't tried this. This is your chance to fall in love with it! It is like sesame, but little different

1 tsp of olive oil
Salt and pepper for seasoning
Lemon wedges and a cup of parsley for garnish

Here is what you do

In a shallow skillet, heat oil and add the veggies. Stir fry lightly for about 2 min.  Add the spices (garlic, ginger, poppy seeds and paprika). Mix in everything. Season with salt and black pepper. Take it off the stove. Place your eggs on top. Give everything a shimmy shake. Spread it around your main dish. Garnish with parsley and lemon wedges.

What a pretty dish we have!




Happy eating and healthy living!

Comments

Sarah said…
Souncds delicous! I hope your stomach starts feeling better soon.
Bob said…
Never would have thought to put poppy seeds in stir fry but it sounds great. I'll try it next time I make one.
ann low said…
Hope you're better by now ;)
Can't get poppy seeds here but this definitely delicious and healthy!
Jhonny walker said…
@ Sarah: I hope so too!
@ Bob: it is a great way to jazz up a dish or even salads!
@ Ancoo: too bad..but you can use sesame too!
The JR said…
Stir frys are great meals. Glad you came up with something your Poppa liked.
My stomach's not necessarily fussy about new ingredients - not that there are that many 'new' foods that I haven't tasted already - but I have a limit to how much butter/animal fat/vegetable fat I can consume in one sitting and when I reach my limit I have to stop eating. =P
Kim said…
Never thought of poppy seeds in a stir fry before, but I can see how it would work. I bet it looks gorgeous too!
La Bella Cooks said…
I hope you are feeling better. This stir fry sounds wonderful!
Trish said…
Poppy seeds are beautiful...and I can see why you would add them. I hope you are not going to find some food allergy is the problem. I do believe we all need to have our plain and simple diets from time to time...our stomachs really are put to the test with all our strange concoctions, right? Especially with all the man made ingredients. Take care there kiddo!
Looks fabulous... sorry I haven't been around for awhile, I moved to the US Virgin Islands (I still giggle when I say that) for six months, and it is taking awhile to get settled. But i do think I am caught up, and will be back reading each of your new posts as usual...

Come take a look at my new blogs of Island life!

I have a feeling that I will be eating lots more stir fry soon. needing to STRETCH left overs. thanks for the great tips and hope you get to feeling better... terrible problem for a foodie

Popular Posts