A dish that travelled a million miles in a hundred years


I have often mentioned my undying love for fish. And that continues to be my focus as I travel. My sole wish for this trip was to get in as much fish (Fish in India is often fresh from the waters) and veggies as I can possibely can. Both of these are so much cheaper and fresher and...best part...so much varaity. And my mom is leaving no stone unturned to fulfil that wish :)

So yesterday I was hovering around the kitchen..Okay digression. I cannot keep away from the kitchen. The smells just drags me there. Which is very nice, cos now I can tell my crtics that I don't cook out of necessity or just frivolously. I cook..because I enjoy it so so so very much. Yesterday at an eveing out, a new aquantaince told me,' you would not like it if you had to do it 24/7'. I told him.' why! that is what I would love, especially if I had a food boutique of my own'. Now, fellow foodies, tell me...could I have said so, had I not been loitering in the kitchen...when I could totally not be there at all? :) Okay..back to the food story.

So yes, I was hovering in the kitchen and our age old fantastic cook was making this gorgeous looking dish. Fish dish. And I asked her for the recipe and she tells me that my grandmother had taught her this recipe. Okay, I ask my grandmother, where she got the idea. My very dear grandmom tells me, she got it from a friend of hers and that it was the friend's signature dish. Okay, I happen to know this friend. Exceptional cook. She tells me that the recipe was from her cousin. Notice here, that we are talking of a age average 75. I was now super intrigued. I asked for the cousin's contact details so that I can know-- purely for the sake of curiosity-- who thought of this incredible recipe. I called this cousin up. She was startled at my sudden and abrupt behaviour, but was gracious enough to let me know it was her mothers. I was going to ask if she had the mother's contact, and anticipating that she said, that her mother was dead for the last 30 years.

Good for me that I make my own recipes..and that someone looking for the brain behind the wonder would have to travel only to the email box. But to think my recipes could make such such such a long and powerful journey. And to think it all started from the smell in the best place on earth...kitchen. Its perrty amazing. Ain't it?

So here is the result of that journey..and hope it continues miles , not just in this little part of India...but across the world!

Ingredients:

4 fish steaks. Best to use salmon, haddock or Tuna.

2 medium tomatoes. Diced
1 big onion. Finely chopped
2-3 cloves of garlic
1 inch of fresh ginger. Finely chopped

2 handful of raisins.
1/4 th cup of yogurt.
2 tbsf oil. Best is good quality olive oil. But you can use any you have on hand

Salt and pepper for seasoning
Lemon wedges and tomatoe slices for garnish

Here is what you do!

Bake. Mix all ingredients together and place in a shallow baking tray. Preheat oven to 400F. Bake for 20 minutes. Add time if your fish steaks are bigger or thicker.

Garnish and have warm with a glass of wine.

Here is that dish which made a million miles to your table :)



Happy eating and healthy living!

Comments

La Bella Cooks said…
I love this. It reminds me of asking my grandmother about our Italian recipes that seem to have the longest lines of where they came from...all of which are highly "top secret" That part cracks me up.
I'm happy to hear you made up your own. Kudos to you.
Sayantani said…
thats an incredible recipe.o less effort and such great outcome. we have got some seer stake today. will try this.
The JR said…
They always say "inquiring minds what to know".

Glad you liked it so much.
Jhonny walker said…
@ Bridgett: That is the hilarious part!!
@ Sayantani: I totally reccomend this one if you are in no mood to cook :)

@ Ramona: they also say, curiosity killed the cat :) Thanks a lot

Popular Posts