Cilantro-Cumin Chicken-- creates life long memories


It sure feels great to hit Monday. For one thing there is activity back on the food community. And it is terrific to read about all the culinary adventures of the weekend. Thanks for the weekend! Wait..wasn't I just saying that Monday was great..? :)

Mine was a regular one. By that of course I mean lots of adventures in kitchen land. And outside too. One of them being pumpkin carving. Here is what I have been up to




Not very scary..is he?

Back to my kitchen-land. I was making a lovely lentil. That involves boiling the lentils for some time. If you have ever worked with lentils, you will notice that it gives off a lovely waft of aroma after boiling for sometime. It so happened that right around that time I was mincing up some garlic. And both these flavors found their way into my senses..kind of like two white ghosts wafting into my brain...and created this wonder recipe. I could actually smell, taste and visualize this dish. I tell you it was quite an eerie experience..and given this time of the year, I guess it is to be expected :). Huh?

However, today I am not going to write about that. For one thing, I have yet to make it! It is still my fantasy right now. And this blog is not about fantasies. It is about hard work which shows and not :) That brings me to today's recipe. Which is neither my brainchild, nor did I cook  or arrange for the ingredients. But it is my favorite chicken recipe. And only one person knows how to make it  best. R. So yesterday, he was in charge of the kitchen. And yes, we have this fantastic recipe.

One word though. It might look similar to one recipe which I have posted earlier, when I was a newbie in this wonderful community. However, these two taste very different. Today's one is lovely in its spice combination and has got a cooked feel to it, although it takes almost no babysitting. A couple of layers of flavor going about it. The other one has a strong garlic- sour cream flavor, got a baked feel to it and definitely is less of an hassle to make. Similar looking. But very different tasting. And just one addition..no make it two, makes such a big difference. A spice and a cooking technique You will see. Just thought it was best to let you guys know beforehand.

Oh! before I plunge into the recipe..a little tit bit. I loved this recipe ever since I had it. And that ever since is not that long back. About three years back. R was visiting me in cambridge. I have mentioned this before that I used to live in a dorm. And I was not a cook those days. Just about did a few good dishes. So R came to visit and made this dish for me. It was a typical rainy cambridge evening. And I remember we both were sitting in the huge dorm kitchen-- by a stroke of luck it was without anybody else--alking about this and that while the chicken marinaded....the faint garlic-Cilantro smell wafting about casually...

This dish...always bring back the memory of the warm savory evening...while the world outside was wet and sad.

So here is to lovely, cosy and spicy memories!

Ingredients

1 lb  of chicken. Skin or with skin. Your choice. Boneless or with bone. Your choice. I would go with skinless, with bones.

2 small bunches of Cilantro. You can substitute partly or wholly with Parsley. I would definitely stick with  Cilantro. Since I love it sooo much. Remember to wash the cilantro/ Parsley. Apparently they can bear deadly germs and give you a bad case of food poisoning.

7-8 cloves of garlic- grated. You can vary as per your taste. But in this case, the more the merrier :)

2 green chili- chopped up. You can also use Jalapeno

2 tsp of whole cumin.

1 tsp of oil-- what a catch!!

1.5 cup of good quality yoghurt.

Salt to season

All you do is really...just marinade and cook


Make a coarse paste using the Cilantro/ Parsley, garlic, yoghurt. Marinade the chicken with this paste for  an hour. This is the only thing that is to be done. So we might as well be patient about it.

Heat the oil (1 tsp!) in a skillet. When hot, add the chili/ Jalapeno. Fry for ~ 30 secs. Add the whole cumin. Wait for 10 secs or till you smell aroma. Wow! And then add the marinaded chicken. Mix everything together.  Saute for a minute, lower and then simply cover and wait for 15-20 minutes. Give it a stir once in the mean time. After 20 minutes, uncover, and see if the water has dried up. There is water in the yoghurt :). If the chicken has reached desired consistency, season with salt, turn off heat

Serve with anything-- rice, bread, salad! Its all good. really light and flavorful. My favorite chicken dish.







Happy eating and healthy living!

Comments

lululu said…
Love cilantro and cumin a loooooot. Will make this with thighs this wk. Let me tell u how it goes later.
The JR said…
I like the pumpkin.

1.5 ??? yoghurt
Jhonny walker said…
@ Ramona: yes. This dish does not use any water or chicken stock. All the water will come from yoghurt. So a cup and a half is good :)
Palidor said…
That looks delicious! Some of the best memories we have are formed around food, and it shows that food is way more than just nutrients for the body.
Mardi Michels said…
I LOVE your pumpkin and that chicken looks AMAZING -some of my favourite flavours right there!
Olga said…
You are so right about the flavor of toasted whole cumin seeds! I like using them in omeletes with ginger and red onions.
Anonymous said…
I agree with Palidor. The significance of most dishes I make revolve around my family. For exmaple, when we were dating, we wanted to make shrimp scampi one night but I knew nothing about it...and it was he who thought me how to devain a shrimp for the first time, to this day, i always recollect that memory when preping shrimp and it never fails to make me smile ... Such a sweet story JW, makes the chicken dish worth trying :) ...certainly can't go wrong with cilantro, garlic, and cumin ! : ) ...such an at hand list of ingredients.
Erica said…
You used my favorite ingredients in that dish! I love cilantro and cumin!Amazing flavors.
Jhonny walker said…
@ Olga : I have never tried omlette with cumin. What a fascinating idea! Thanks a lot :)

@ Palidor and Nat: Food is all so much about memories. It always bring back cute cosy memories. NOthing like food to revoke em' :)

@ Mardi and Erica:- What can go wrong with garlic, cumin and cilantro ? Nothing :)
lovely and flavorful recipe and i adore the jack o lantern not at all scary lol
radha said…
Looks delicious. But I shall adapt this to a vegetarian dish - potatoes maybe. Will let you know once I make it.
Sounds great to me. I love cilantro too but I've found some people don't. I served something with cilantro in it to a friend and she said, "what's in this I don't like?" Maybe she could have said that a little nicer, don't you think....
Sam
Cathy said…
It amazes me how many non-cilantro loving friends I have. Which just means I won't have to share this dish :)
buffalodick said…
I am a cumin addict! I toast and grind my own. Oddly enough, with the exception of a little in fresh salsa, I can't stand cilantro- tastes like soap to me!
Jhonny walker said…
hahahahah....a lot of non- cilantro lovers I see :) :)
what you can do to accommodate that dislike is substitute with parsley. Tastes really good too!
NKP said…
Great pumpkin!
I am making Indian-style lentils and chicken for dinner tonight too (I don't want to say curry now and get in trouble! ;-)
My daughter is coming home and it is her favourite comfort food.
Unknown said…
Hey, how about cup noodles?
I found many different flavors here
yummiexpress.freetzi.com
Velva said…
This is a beautiful dish! Proof that simple is best.
Enjoyed reading your blog post!
Velva said…
This is a beautiful dish! Proof that simple is best.
Enjoyed reading your blog post!
Jhonny walker said…
@ Nat:- no trouble...:)

@ Velva:- cannot agree more
Tried it! cilantro being my favorite.......it turned out yummy even though i overdid the cilantro...as always.......
Jhonny walker said…
you can never overdo garlic and Cilantro.. that is one of confession I have to make :)

Popular Posts