Aubergine, Brinjal or Eggplants---with Tomato



Eggplants. I promised a couple of days back about writing something about these lovely, colorful--often not given due importance--veggies. I bought a couple from the farmers market about three weeks ago. They are still good and fresh when I cooked them tonight. Of course we all had a bit to drink too much so much of it is still left.

Anyway, this recipe is an adaptation of Rachel Ray. She suggested making a pasta sauce for this one. But while making it I realized that it did not have to be so. This one could very well substitute any veggie dish that I was planning on making.

All it has is some tomatoes, eggplants and Garlic...has an it Italian look. Granted. But did you know that in Turkey, eggplant is an important veggie and part of almost all stages of a lunch and dinner? They have an interesting name--Aubergine. Such Mediterranean sounding. I grew up calling it Brinjal :)

Whatever you call it, this recipe is a winner...all the way.

ready?

Ingredients

A big eggplant- chopped into chunks

4 medium sized tomatoes- cut into chunks

3-4 cloves of garlic- grated

2-3 tbsf of extra virgin olive oil

Half a cup of water or vegetable stock

salt and black pepper for seasoning

Garnish with chopped green onion or fresh basil


Its really chopping and dropping :)

heat the olive oil in a non-stick skillet. Once the oil is hot,  drop the garlic in it and saute for 30 secs or till it gives off the awesome aroma :). Add the eggplant pieces and cover. This ensures cooking the eggplant in steam, which reduces the amount of oil you would need. Continue for 10 minutes. Check and saute every 2 minutes. Once the eggplants are soft and wilted, add the tomatoes and cover. Check and saute for 10-12 minutes till the tomatoes start turning to paste. Season with salt and pepper.

Your veggie dish is done. Garnish with green onion and/or Basil.

However if you prefer to make a sauce, add half a cup water or vegetable stock and heat till a paste is formed. Toss your pasta with this sauce and it is a winner!!





Happy eating and healthy living

Comments

ann low said…
Yes, me too...love easy and healthy meal.
Velva said…
You are right eggplant is an under appreciated vegetable. This past summer we had the opportunity to enjoy eggplant from our garden. I prepared many dishes withe eggplant. Thanks for sharing another great idea for preparing eggplant.
The JR said…
I love eggplant, usually dip in egg then cornmeal and fry. Sometimes use it in my spaghetti sauce. Sometime cut it in chunks and fry green tomatoes, okra, eggplant and potatoes all at the same time.

Ramona
Erica said…
Love eggplant- and this is such a great, simple, healthy recipe! I love doing mine on the grill too and topping it with a bit of homemade tomato sauce
Anonymous said…
Hello,
I have developed a new clean web 2.0 wordpress theme.

Has 2 colours silver and blue, has custom header(colour or image).
I am curently working on it, so if you have suggestions let me know.

You can view live demo and download from here www.getbelle.com
If you found bug reports or you have suggestions pm me.
Wish you a happing using.

many thanks to [url=http://www.usainstantpayday.com/]USAInstantPayDay.com[/url] for paying the hosting and developement of the theme

Travinadiaw
Anonymous said…
Hi all, I just registered on this amazing community and desired to say howdy! Have a excellent day!
Anonymous said…
hi all

I just thought it would be good to introduce myself to everyone!

Can't wait to get to know you all better!

-Marshall

Thanks again!
Anonymous said…
whats up everyone


great forum lots of lovely people just what i need


hopefully this is just what im looking for looks like i have a lot to read.
Anonymous said…
Howdy

It is my first time here. I just wanted to say hi!

Popular Posts