(W)holistic Chicken- a flavorful twist to the holiday season


I am one happy person when I realize that I am a part of the best community ever. The foodie community. It is virtual. Right. But how much better is it, than all other virtual communities. In fact I will go so far to say that it is one place where bickering and harsh criticisms almost never happen! It is amaing if you ask me! It is quite the wonderland in my opinion. And I (and I think most of us) feel like Alice. All the time. And if language is a barrier (e.g I follow this awesome blog in French by Chapot. I do not understand her recipes. But then the pictures. Just tell me almost all that I have to know!).  How many communities can boast that?

I did mention that I feel like Alice. Awestruck and ready to change my ideas  (after a little chit chat with Dina) at the drop of a post. I chanced upon a recipe for  sweet and spicy chicken by Denufood. I love this blog. Reminds me of all the good food of home. And I guess I have started to appreciate how much goes into those dishes that to me, for a long time was just request away! I made a few changes with this recipe, so that it cannot be called sweet anymore.Although it is very inspired by Deepa's blog, I will write the recipe alright. Just because while making this dish, I realized that whole spices can be used with chicken and they turn out quite amazing..with awesome flavors.

Thanks SE. I learnt more with one post of yours that I would, doing a whole book!

So here is to whole spices and chicken

Ingredients:

Chicken- with bones with or without skin. I used 6 chicken drumsticks.

Whole spices: Okay for this, I used whole spices. You can mix up any different varieties of whole spices and use half a tsp of that mixture. I made mine with the following and named it 'I spice'. 
Allspice, nigella, cloves, cinnamon, aniseed, poppy, cardamom, whole pepper, cumin, coriander.
I can assure you it goes well with any dish you make. Veggies, fishes ..anything. This just gives everything a (w)holistic flavor :)

6-8 spring onions. Cut the whites from the green parts. Chop them up and preserve without mixing.
Never knew how different white and green parts tasted!
2 tomatoes- chopped up
2 green chilis. Chopped.  De seed to take out the heat.
3-4 cloves of garlic. Grated
2 tbsf grated ginger
2-3 tbsf chopped Dill. I feel this almost substitutes Curry leaves. But you can use curry leaves, if you can find some :)

A pinch of turmeric
A pinch of cayenne pepper
2-3 tbsf oil
1.5 cups of hot water or chicken stock (take it out of the refrigerator at least 30 mins before using. Will bring it up to room temperature so that when you use it will lock in the flavors of the dish)
Salt to taste.

A few strands of cilantro or parsley for garnish

Okay here is what you do!

Wash those drumsticks and slash em up. Allows juices to flow easily :) Combine chicken with ginger-garlic paste, chili powder, salt and turmeric and let marinate for 5 – 10 minutes or more. Heat oil in a pan, add in the Dill and/or curry leaves, green chilli, whites of spring onions and half a tbsf of the spice mixture. Fry for a few seconds or till you smell the aroma. Add the  marinated chicken and sauté for few minutes. Add in the tomatoes and and remaining spring onions and sauté for few mins. This was so gorgeous, I tell ya, you will fall in love with it :)




Add the stock or warm water. Cook covered on low heat for 10 minutes. Saute once in a while to prevent sticking of the chicken at the bottom.
Season with salt . Garnish with Cilantro or parsley.
Serve warm...

It is one great and simple dish..bringing out the essence of so many spices. You will love it. A healthy and (w)holistic twist to your holiday evenings :)




Happy eating, healthy living and lovely holidays...life is beautiful :)

Comments

SE said…
This looks terrific...I liked the idea of using drumsticks to make this dish...I am glad that you liked my recipe!! and thanks for the mention.
SE said…
Spice mixture sure brought lot of flavors..btw..can i get your email id, as I wasn't able to find one on your blog..
looks great blogging is awesome and brings our cooking to another and fun level

Love Rebecca
i used to be active in the viral poker community...

You are dead on about how encouraging everyone is on the foodie sites. Nothing close to that feeling on the other worlds I have visited
Tasty Trix said…
It's true! Food bloggers definitely seem to have great manners, and if we can't something nice, I think we tend to say nothing at all. Plus, I find it so inspiring to read about and see all the yummy things people make. Yay, us!
It is wonderful being in the food blogging world! The chicken makes it even better!
SE said…
hey, did you receive my email..
Jhonny walker said…
Hello everyone

glad we are on the same page here :)

SE:- I finally retrieved your email :)
Reeni said…
The food blogging community is the sweetest bunch of people! I just recently discovered Denufood. A terrific blog. This chicken looks really delicious! Love all of the flavors in it.
The JR said…
Have a Merry XMAS and a happy New Year.

Hope Santa fills your stockings with all kinds of great foodie loving stuff!
Catherine said…
Mmmm, yummy! This sounds delicious!
Happy HOlidays & happy new Year!
tamilyn said…
Food Bloggers are definately very friendly and most helpful when you post a question.

Dish looks delightful!

What is an Earth Scientist? Our oldest daughter is in college majoring in Environmental Geo-Sciences with a minor in English. She wants to chase storms and figure out what natural disasters do to the environment.
Erica said…
I love all my blogger friends!!!! That chicken looks delicious. Happy holidays :)
Looks interesting. :) Need to get rid of all the inventory I have now before I try anything new though!
TKW said…
I've heard of substituting bay for the curry leaves, but I didn't know that you could use dill, also. Thanks for the tip! I bet these have a lot of flavor!
Sayantani said…
Lovely Post!its really like a wonderland for us where we can be ourselves without any worry with friends around who provide solace and support when you need them.
Delicious chicken I must say. Merry Christmas to you and your family dear. enjoy the spirit.
Anonymous said…
Hi J, oh I'm so sorry, i missed your amazing trip to SF...and well...at least i made it in time to see this gorgeous dish ! I'm telling you J, it looks so tasty, i looked at it really close and can tell it is so yummy !....Excellent Pic too...!

Hope you have an wonderful christmas and an even more awesome new year babe !... Take Care ! Hugs, Your Friend, Nat ~
Palidor said…
Hey Jhonny! Just wanted to wish you a very happy holiday! All the best to you in the new year.
buffalodick said…
Dark meat is always better! Merry Christmas!
good point on the day we just enjoyed a quiet evening at home, great curry

yum

Popular Posts