Savory Herb Cakes


Seems like a long time back when I heard that life isn't about tasks, it is also about tastes. 

But sometimes it seems that such tastes often come at a price that we end up paying in terms of calories, among other things that we wish we did not have to pay. When the king of a distant land said that life is about tastes, he probably did not have to think of the task  of making food the way we do  and with the things we have, now. He could take hours at a breakfast table, go riding, take a hot soak and then go..I don't know. Somewhere where I can't go. And nor can you for that matter. Ad return to well laid tables full of fantastic casseroles and souffles.

And with all the handicaps I have the King of the distant land did not-- a lab to go to, articles to write, walks to take, gardening to do,cook -- I still think I have a better life over that king.  You know why?

I am living my life first hand. And nowhere am I living it better or more in touch with reality than when I am makin food. I pity that king who had only the idea of tastes. But no idea about the lovely task of creating that taste. I feel I have a privilage, something I am sure you guys will agree because love the task of creating the tastes that wowed the king of the distant land but with a little less of the vices. 

And here is one table that I laid, that I think surpasses a king's table. Set on a lovely sunny january morning, here is what we had for breakfast





















A fruit and veggie salad-- with ingredients and herbs from my home grown garden
A simple fish parsilade
And ...french savory herb infused cakes--without bacon, cheese and cream. But with yogurt and milk.  

Did you know that yogurt was a really great substitute for cheese, especially in savory cakes? And that you could use mushrooms to get over bacon?

You won't miss out on any of the grand taste and you can even feel great about makin eat and eatin it.

Here is a recipe for the savory herb cake!

Ingredients:
 1/2 cup of milk. I used 2% reduced. But you can use whole milk or even light cream
1 tsp of fresh or dried rosemary
1 Pack of mushrooms, sliced. Good substitute for Bacon
3 cloves of Garlic, crushed
1 heaping cup of all purpose flour
2 tsp of baking powder
5 medium eggs
6 tbsf of olive oil
1 cup of yogurt mixed. A very good substitute for cheese.
2 tbsf oregano
1 tbsf dried or fresh parsley
Salt and pepper

How to do it

Preheat oven to 350F

  • Bring the half of the milk to a boil and add the rosemary. Stir well. Turn off the heat and leave to cool completely. Strain the milk and discard the rosemary.
  • In a skillet, heat 2 tbsf olive oil. Add the sliced mushroom and garlic and fry for about 3 mins. Till mushroom turns deep brown.Cool
  • In a bowl, mix together the flour and baking powder. With a whisk beat in the eggs one after the other, beating well after every addition. 
  • Add the rosemary infused milk and 4 tbsf of olive oil.
  • Stir in the fried mushroom and garlic, yogurt, oregano, parsley and season with salt and pepper. Mix well.
  • Pour into a 9 inch bread pan and bake for 35-40 min, till a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. 
  • Cool in the racks for 5-10 mins

Slice and serve while still warm

All that's french and grand  but without the vice :)


Happy eating and healthy living!


Comments

The JR said…
Other than cornbread and sometimes mexican cornbread, I don't think of savory breads/cakes.

Glad you enjoyed your feast.
Unknown said…
I love the action of creating too! Lovely job hear, love the steam coming ogg the savory bread

Popular Posts