Rosemary-garlic-lemon chicken


It does not feel great to be in workplace on a holiday. Oh well...one of the many 'perks 'of living in California is that you gotta be in your workplace on Columbus day. Hmm...

Also it does not feel good to have mad shuttle drivers ignoring speed breakers on a winding stretch of road. And it sure feels irritating to have trucks carrying gas cylinders barely missing you by a quarter of an inch. Finally it sucks when you spill coffee on the lovely new white T shirt. All this before 9 AM.

Nope a holiday is not meant to be spent in a work place.

But what if I told you that waking up, feeling gorgeous in your skin actually makes it all very bearable? It does. Okay..How many times do you get up in the morning feeling sexy and really fresh and in a spirit as light as the helium balloon you just passed on your way? Not many ....right? And add to it the fact that you feel great to slip on your jeans and come to work without even so much as a brush through that tousled hair?  Rare. Very rare :) Its a rare great feeling that beats every little irritation you may encounter and and its worth prolonging the feeling even as the morning wears off. Right? :)

So how do you do it?  Clearly has to do with what you eat. So..what do you want to eat on a day like this. At lunch..at dinner ? Surely something which is fragrant and earthy. I am assuming nothing to dressed. Its all about feeling gorgeous and great in your own skin. If you are looking for a recipe like that...here is where you stop. I guarantee you that this roast chicken is so fragrant and earthy that  it will leave you feeling gorgeous and as light even after a whole big platter of it.

Here is to food that keeps making you feel great, inside out :) Summer just got a day longer

Rosemary- garlic- roasted chicken

Ingredients:

2 chicken breasts. Bone in and some skin on. You can also do 6 chicken wings or even drumsticks. Its got to be hearty. Not too dressed. Remember..we are letting our dressings down today
1 lb of small new potatoes. Any color is good. A mixture looks even prettier. Halve them. Quarter the bigger ones.
1 packet of mushroom. Clean with wet tissue. Do not clean with water. The mushroom becomes rubbery. Mushroom is optional

1 tbsf fresh rosemary. Or use 2 tsp of dried rosemary
3-4 big cloves of garlic. Crushed
1 tsp of red chilli pepper flakes
Freshly squeezed juice of 1 big lemon. Here is a tip. Heat the lemon in your microwave for 10 secs. The juices will give :) Reserve the lemon peices
2-3 tbsf lite olive oil
Salt and pepper for seasonings

All you do is try not to disrupt the natural flavors. So no big maneuvers here. Keep it simple and easy :) 
Heat oven to 420 F.
Mix together the chili flakes, rosemary, garlic and lemon juice. Season the breasts with the marinade and let sit for 10-15 min. Meanwhile put your potatoes in a saucepan, fill up with cold water and boil for 5-8 mins. Drain well and reserve. In a skillet, I like iron skillet, heat oil. Add the chicken. And let it sit for 3-4 min. No touching. Let things caramelize. Flip on the other side. And again wait for 3-4 min. Add in the potatoes, mushroom and the squeezed out lemon. And toss. Stick the pan (make sure its oven proof or place everything in an oven safe bowl/try/casserole) into the oven for 20-25 mins to finish cooking through gently. Let the flavors marry and get entwined :)



Slip into a big sweater and have it in your patio. The nip in the air will make things even more savory. With some heat where you need it :)
Happy eating and healthy living!

Comments

I recently managed to lose some baby fat and now I feel gorgeous almost always...so I can connect when you say feeling sexy in your own skin...the chicken looks delicious.
The JR said…
Hopefully this excellent meal will make up for the crappy day.

p.s., we are having to work today too.....
Jhonny walker said…
@ Sayantani :) Of course you understand then :)
@ Ramona: You have to too? how strange. Is the columbus day a boston thing only then? :)
tinyskillet said…
Sorry about the rought start of the day! I'll bet that near miss really had your heart racing!

What a wonderful dish, I always like the smell of rosemary when I tuck some in the chicken I'm roasting. I'll skip the sweater, not much chill in the air hear yet. But it is comfy sitting outside now!

I had to work today too. I think it's the east coast that always gets Columbus Day off!
Haven't felt like that in about 5 years :-{{{

Chicken dish sounds just perfect.
Dewi said…
Delicious way to cook chicken, the scent from rosemary is intoxicating :)
Reeni said…
What a lovely post! I feel like floating away like a leaf on the wind. There's nothing better than a roasted chicken! It doesn't need a lot of dressing up! And I must respond to your question about the honey chipotle wings - I'm not sure what you could use in place of honey - maybe agave?
Rosemary chicken has always been a favorite of mine. I always like to have the skin on my chicken and make it really crispy. It's fattier this way, but it means I eat less chicken because my stomach tells me I've had an overdose in *fat* sooner. Some days I can eat more and other days I can eat less before I reach my limit. It might be that the chicken doesn't have the same fat content either. Chicken skin also contains collagen. Some studies insist this does not make any difference but whatever you can say about my skin, it's still young and pretty elastic and it's not the creams I'm using!
this sound so delicious...
Yikes! Sounds like you were having 'one of those dyas', Hun. But I'm glad to see you made the best of it by coming home and make something that looks so wonderful and delicious!!! =)
Jhonny walker said…
Hello all!

@ Sonia, Elra: glad you like it

@ Brown girl: Its just a matter of time and you will feel like it. Just think about it and you will feel like it. Its really all in the mind

@ Reene: I guess I will just use some sugar and let it be really hot and spicy

@ Murasaki: You forget the Genes! But I like a bit of skin on as well..who does not :)

@ Ree: I had those days..but now its over with that meal...and now back to work :) Hows the Columbus day in Boston. Seems like that only place that enjoys a day off! :)
fun post sorry you had to work and another great recipe
Chef Fresco said…
Healthy, delicious dinner! I love skillet meals, we just had one last night. =)

p.s. I agree w. your comment about having to work on holidays, totally lame!
Jhonny walker said…
Hey

@ Rebecca: Thanks madam :)

@ Fresco chef feels good to know that I am not the only one sad to be at work on a holiday. Skillet meals are great and less washing too :)

Popular Posts