Cherry and Raisin Pilaf


This post will look one out of 1970's. When microwave was an innovation :)

Well I guess I am appreciating microwave's 'true value' forty years later. What can I say?  

Anyone who has been reading my blog for any length of time will know that I am notorious with rice. Simply notorious. One of the reasons there are so few recipes I write about rice. Till recently I could not make rice at all. Rice got mushy/burnt...any number of things that should not happen to rice. Whether on the stove top or the microwave.  Till of course my good blogger friend Shab (of shab's cuisne) told me the magic ratio. 1:2 for Rice:water Ever since I have had good success with making rice in the microwave. Freinds and R have appllauded me on the good quality rice I was churning out :)

proud proud me!

However white rice is as far as I went. No pilafs, no paellas and no risottos. None of that fancy things.
But....
A couple of weeks I took rice cooking in a microwave to a level I am preening every time I am thinking about . Really. Its super clever.  I mean can you think? A Turkish pilaf in a microwave. Who ever could have thought of that? And you know the quality was great. All I did was fry the ingredients together in a skillet and then added water in that magic ratio and stuck in the microwave. Oh the simplicity and elegance of the technique will blow you. Wait till you try it. You will be addicted to it.
So a  post saluting the microwave technology, forty years delayed ...but  comes with a Cherry (pilaf) on top

Raisin-cherry Pilaf
Ingredients:

1 cup of long grained white rice. Soaked in water for 5 mins.
1 cup of mixture of raisins, cherry and some cranberry. You can use all three, any one or any combination.
 1 big onion finely sliced
1 tsp of sugar
1 tsp of cumin
2 tbsf olive oil
1 4/5 th cup of water
Salt for seasoning

Micro away !

Well heat oil in a skillet. Add the cumin and onions and fry till translucent. Add the rice and coat well in the oil (~ 2 mins). Add the sugar and cherry-raisin-cranberry mixture. Mix well together. Transfer to a microwave friendly bowl. Add the water. Some salt for seasoning. Stick in the microwave for 20 mins. Mine has a 'rice' mode. So I just hit that one. After the pilaf finishes cooking, fluff with a fork and redistribute your fruits which may accumulate in the center of your bowl
Good old cherry Pilaf ready! I love technology :)

Happy eating and healthy living!

Comments

The JR said…
Rice is a definate staple at our home. We use it more than potatoes or anything else.
Unknown said…
Yum, thanks for all the tips
Jhonny walker said…
@ Ramona: R is that way too :)
@ Jenny: Good ones indeed :)
theUngourmet said…
I've never tried making rice in the microwave. It looks like it came out perfectly! :)
Jhonny walker said…
Hey all

thanks you liked the idea :)
Ungourmet: I was not a believer in micro wave technology for rice. But this works fantafabulous!
Erica said…
Rice is a staple in Colombia and I love to eat rice with every meal....delicious recipe.
Reeni said…
I can't believe you made rice in a microwave! Great job! I tried to do it once and all I made was a big mess - and the rice wouldn't cook. I love the cherries and fruits in it!
Jhonny walker said…
Hi!

Erica: So it is in most parts of India, But I am a bread person :)

@ Reeni: I thought so too. Just use this magic recipe

1:2

works like charm

about 22 mins
La Bella Cooks said…
This sounds and looks incredible. I love rice and am always looking for new recipes. I can't wait give this one a try. Glad to hear you finally found success!
Jhonny walker said…
Hey Bridgett!

Its always a fun thing to do once you have mastered the art :) good luk with the pilaf
I didn't know microwaves had 'rice mode'! :D
Jhonny walker said…
They do!! I hope most new ones do :)

Popular Posts