Luchi: The Fried Dough


It is true. 

And this is how it all started... on a tuesday morning. Right here at this desk. Awaiting a lab supply :) I have to say I never foresaw coming along so far. And I am glad I did. 

This calls for a ton of thanks to a few friends who have been with me through out this incredible journey. And special thanks to R. For he has been through the good and bad. Encouragement and criticisms helping me equally :) And also my sister. She has been the biggest fan of my cooking!

And the only way to honor today is with a post of food-- I love and crave-- but neither can I make it nor do I want to learn how to do it.  Its called 'Luchi'. Fried dough..but way way better. There is this thin crust on top and if you break it the aroma of fried dough wafts in. You have it with potato curry or  caramelized-sweetened-milk-rice-custard (payesh). It is out of the world. And in my home this was a brunch or a dinner delicacy. As  I write it I am craving for these and that always reminds me of my mom-grandmother combination in the kitchen.

This is one food-- in addition to samosa-- I cannot make. And I actively strive not to learn how to make it.You know its like that famous mastercard ad.. 'There are some things you should not attempt to make'. The drill takes the magic away. And what's food-- or for that matter anything-- without some magic :)

So when an old freind--Shreya--visited a couple of months ago, she made me this wonderful big brunch of luchi-and rice custard. I cannot thank her enough. And R has been so good-- he has treated me to this savory brunch--working in the kitchen all by himself a couple of times :)


So here it is..the feast in pictures...for I don't know the recipe. A sort of guest post from R, my fren Shreya, my mom and gradmom from across the oceans :)


That's the fried dough! notice the crust :)


That's what I call the bounty :) You can always mark your anniversaries by these beauties. 

Cheers to an year and hopefully more ahead :)

Comments

The JR said…
Congratulations on your first year.

That fried dough looks fantastic!
SE said…
Hey...Congratulations on the blog b'day !!.. We call these puri or poori !!
Congratulations! What a difference a year makes....and I am so glad I found you.
Linda said…
Congrats on your anniversary!
Happy blog-o-versary! And what an accomplishment. The work, the time, the shared stories and recipes...Congratulations on the past year. I'm so glad to have been a part of your journey. I wish you many, many more blog birthdays, and I want to be at every one.

Even though you can't make those lovely fried dough, I'm happy you get to enjoy them. They look scrumptious.
Amy said…
Congrats on the Blogoversary! Those luchi look incredible!
Many, many happy returns :-}}
Unknown said…
Happy 1 year blogaversary
Jhonny walker said…
Hey all

@ Ramona: you are one from the old school. Thanks mate for being there always!!

@ Ree: Its my pleasure that we found each other in our journey to food! Love you buddy

@SE: Poori it is..but a bit different. Its called luchi. Thanks for the wish

@ Linda, Amy, Brownville girl, Jenny : Thanks a million! its being an incredible journey!
Anonymous said…
Happy One Year!!! I just celebrated my Six Month so I know how exciting One Year must be. Congrats my friend and many MANY more!!!! :o) Your blog rocks!
ann low said…
Congratulations on your 1st year Blogoversary!
congratulations........this has been awesome!
Unknown said…
Hey! Congrats on your one year blog anniversary! The luchi sounds so good. What a great way to celebrate!

I'm glad that you stumbled upon my blog, especially because it led me to yours. You have so many cool foods featured! I appreciate the follow!
Jhonny walker said…
@ Brenda, Ancoo and dreamer: Thanks a ton for the support and the wishes.

@Marissa: that is super nice :) thanks so much for the visit!
You're going to be in town? That's awesome! I'd love to meet up with you. I looked for an email but couldn't find one, here is mine: sexyredsox27@aol.com

Send me an email and I'll give you my phone number so we can work out the details, okay?

See you soon. =)
Unknown said…
hey congrats for completing 1 yr ...i see ur recipe and even crave..kudos to all the effort and off course the skill that u hv ...by the way i tried rice-custard(payesh) ...i guess it was nice but no one to eat neither to appreciate...
Jhonny walker said…
@ Ree...will send an email your way soon!!

@ moumita: Payesh..is a context in itself. Its great to be appreciated and yo share things with..but honestly I love writing and cooking just for myself! I used to make food just because...why don't you start a blog? That way a million people will be there to share with and appreciate!

Popular Posts