Fusion dips


I am talking about Dips. Not the skinny one. But ones which will surely help you become confident-- not just about skinny dipping but also on these summery days-- the beach days, these short skirt and shorts days. I mean who dosen't like dips!  and I am sucker for these ones. Hummus is my favorite. But I like all of them. Salsa is another one too. But not the cheesy ones or creamy ones or the oily ones. But then what am I doing here talking of dips! There is a secret ingredient I use

Water. Plain old H2O.

I have perfected the art of dips, without oil and cream and cheese, if I may say so myself. And today I am gonna share the idea with you :)

I always use hotwater. And I was happy--delighted-- astounded-- to find out that NY times agrees with me. That water enhances flavor by diluting it. In our household, my mom, my grandmom, actually anyone I ever knew of always use hot water to cook. Not generally wine or stock. And when I started making my own food, I sort of stuck to using hot water, partly because its super healthy and also partly because I never had stock on my hand. Comes from not being used to seeing cooking with stock. But, don't get me wrong. Now I love making food with stock and wine, especially if there are not many flavors going around a dish. But those which have tons of flavors--- most Indian dishes have that-- I use that hot water. And voila, the dilution works like a charm :)

Same with dips. When I discovered the world of dips, I was super tempted by the sheer varaity. But was daunted by the amount of calories a teaspoon of these packed. And all of those calories-- the ones that aren't that necessray-- comes from the oil or the sour cream or the cheese in them. So I started making dips--with a tbsf oil and the rest  of the fluid I just used water or yoghurt. These turned out to be super good and doubled up as sauces to be used later on :) And what's more people got really excited by the 'new kid in town'.

So today I grant you  dips--into my pool-- a bit hot but not greasy :)

              'Husto' (Hummus without Tahini)

This is hummus-y take on Posto- a dip I have grown up with. Poppy seeds (know as Posto in bengali and I believe comes from postu-- the corner in Afganistan, where they first and still produces poppy seeds) and chilli peppers and garlic. Its an eternal favorite of anyone I know.

1 can of chickepas. Drained
2 tbsf of poppy seeds
3 cloves of garlic. Crushed
1 tbsf cumin
1/2 tsp pf chilli flakes
1 tbsf olive oil
1/4th cup of hot water. Add more (upto 1/3rd water) if you need it to be more 'fluidy'
Juice of half a lime
Salt and pepper to taste

Mix all together in a blender. 

Serve with crunchy raw veggies or use as a thickner of lentil soup or any veggied you are making. You are gonna love this one.



     'Spritty sprout' (Avocado but without the sour cream)

This one has a twist to a regular avocado-sour cream dip. Only packs in more protein and less calories, with all the goodness of avocado still intact :)

1/2 cup of sprounts. I used green lentil sprouts.
1 avocado
1/2 cup of cilantro
Juice of 1lemon
2-3 cloves of garlic. Crushed
1 chilli pepper.
1 tsp of ginger
1 tbsf cumin
1 tbsf olive oil
1/4 to 1/3 rd cup of hot water. More for fluidy mixture!

Blend it all in a food processor. Serve with chips. Or you can use it as a gravy for your chicken dishes. I did so. Was gorgeous.




Happy eating and healthy living!


Comments

great and healthy dips will tweet
The JR said…
I like the hummus dip. It's great that it doesn't use tahini cause that's something I don't have in my pantry.
Jhonny walker said…
@ rebecca: Thanks :)
@ Ramona: I came up with the idea beacuse poppy is something I always have in the pantry and Tahini-- almost never :)
Great ideas .... thanks!
Great dips Jhonny Walker. They look delicious! And perfect for summer. I agree with you about your secret ingredient too, water is such an under-appreciated ingredient. =)
Heather S-G said…
How cool! And oh so healthy...thanks so much for sharing your secret ;)
Very healthy and tasty indeed. Thanks for sharing the hot water tip.
Sam
Reeni said…
Thanks for sharing your great tip with us! And your delicious looking dips. Love the flavors in the sprout dip!
Jhonny walker said…
Hello Chief...:) some secret :)

Cinnamon girl: I agree...it was realy a nice dippy dip

@ Sam: Thanks lady!

Popular Posts