Me and bits of the Thai green curry


I must have told you about my fascination with Thai food. Haven't I? If not, there is no way to explain that. But, I have this thing. I do not want to make something which I am so crazy about. For example, I am mad about samosa-- I never make them. And no matter how good a tutorial I get, nothing matches up to what I expect. The standards I guess are so high :). The same with Sushi, cheesecake. I feel that I can never attain that level of perfection that I crave. So no point in trying. In fact I don't even want to try...maybe.

Having said this, however, I must add that craving some of these things make me come up with recipes, which are my very own. Has some components similar but mostly the dish is just a new one. Confused? Okay, here is a simple way of explaining--

I started off talking about my fascination for Thai food. And for all the Thai lovers (which is pretty much everyone!) green curry is one important thing. I mean real important. I wanted to have it bad. So I looked up a recipe for green curry. And well...I got an idea. I had some of the  raw ingredients and but not specialized one-- the sauces which make Thai green curry..well Thai green curry. So I had this incredible idea of a dish which would be green..yes. But not anything near a Thai green curry.

-- got going...and landed myself (pat pat pat) a lovely dish. Which would be so difficult not to share with you guys. And I totally expect any suggestion, additions-- anything that you might have to say. For this is my dish..and I assure you it can handle changes. For that is me in the kitchen. No recipes. And I read in a blog and I agree so much with it...' that is when cooking is fun'

To fun and games!

Ingredients

1lb chicken. Boneless and skinless.  Cut into bite size pieces.
1 medium potato. Cut into bite size pieces. Optional

1 medium onion
4-5 stalks of green onion
2-3 green chili
5-6 basil leaves
3-4 cloves of garlic
1 tsp grated ginger
1/2 tsp grated lemon zest
2 tbsf lemon juice
1 cup of fresh coriander leaves. You can substitute with Parsley

1 tbsf coriander
1 tbsf cumin
2 tbsf soy sauce
1 tbsf oyster sauce. Optional

1 cup of unsweetened coconut flakes/ powder
1 cup of milk.
1 tsp sugar
2 tbsf oil. Any variety is good. I used Olive oil.

Salt and pepper for seasoning.

Its really neat and simple to do

Mix everything, except coconut, milk, sugar, oil, salt, pepper, potato and chicken, in a food processor into a fine paste. In a deep skillet heat the oil. Add the paste you just made, sugar, coconut and milk and saute for 2- 3 minutes. Add the chicken pieces and mix everything. Cover and cook for ~ 15 minutes till chicken is done. Alternatively, you can transfer the  whole thing into a baking tray and bake for 30 mins at 420 F. Season with salt and pepper.

It is so simple, its difficult to believe that it is for real. So here you are. A bit of Thai and a bit of my mind, in a fragrant dish over jasmine rice :)







Happy eating and healthy living!


Comments

The JR said…
I love sushi, but my rolls always turn out lop sided. So I just make it scattered in a bowl now and that makes me happy.

I don't eat Thai food. It's not that common around here.
Mardi Michels said…
That's a great recipe - so simple yet I bet so flavourful. Saving this to my list of recipes to try!
Anonymous said…
I Love Thai curries Love ! infact bought some gorgeous red thai curry paste few days back. I love your concept on this one, and I love the combination of green chillies, ginger, cilantro and lemon which I suppose are dervied from the authentic thai version. Eitherway, after a close look at it i can honestly say it looks delicious ! ... and was a very obvious success : ) !
oh yum love thai food as well
Jhonny walker said…
Hi
@ Ramona-- good advice. Will keep that in mind. Just in case I get the nerve up to do some sushi :)

@ Mardi: Good luck and keep me posted

@ Nat: I have never tried the curry pastes. But since you assure me...I think that I will try sometime soon :)

@ Rebecca: Who doesn't!
theUngourmet said…
My husband and I are crazy for Thai food! Curry especially!
I started making Samosas this year because I had this CRAVING for them and since my area has Indian groceries but no Indian restaurants (nothing close enough anyway) I made them out of desperation. I didn't quite get them to the level of my friend's mom's ones which is the taste imprinted in my mind, but after a few tries I saw a marked improvement in my Samosa making skills! :)

I love green curry by the way, but haven't made it from scratch as I can't get some of the vital ingredients here.
Yasmeen said…
My kinda curry ,full of flavor,love it :D
Hey, thanks for stopping by my blog. And i am thrilled to have found you. I need all the tasty health food I can get. I noticed your crabmeat recipe from a few days ago, and have added that to my shopping list...

Thanks for hunting me down
Palidor said…
Wow, you wanted to make your own Thai green curry paste? You're awesome, Jhonny! I wouldn't even attempt it. I use a packaged green curry paste... it comes from Thailand so I don't feel bad about using it. ;-)

I really like what you made. It's strikes me as a wonderful fusion of Thai and Indian flavors. Really very nice and lovely green color too.
Jhonny walker said…
@Murasaki:-- I will see if I can make one. My one time try was so not good :(

@ Year on the grill:-- my very own pleasure

@Palidor:-- Thanks...but it is really my marinade. With some components of the Thair green curry. If I wanted the green curry..I would go with your paste! Especially if it from Thailand :)
YUM! That sounds absolutely delicious!
Jennie said…
I am so in love with Thai food! Especially Thai curries! This one sounds good to me! I always add palm sugar and fish sauce to mine. Palm sugar makes all the difference!
Unknown said…
Thank you for coming on my blog, if you want on the right, there is a translator, you can choose your langage
I love all these spices, it must be so tasty
I know San Diego, I have been there for 10 days, my son was studiing there for one year, it's the most beautifull town I have ever seen in United States
Have a nice evening

Popular Posts