Simply okras

Okras...any thoughts on these greenies? Apparently, they are an integral part of turkish cuisine. But we tend to blissfully ignore them. What a waste. Recently I am hooked on to Turkish cooking. And therefore I had some left over okras in the refrigerator-- not nearly enough to do something interestingly turkish.  But I am so much in love with them and its a pitty to throw them away or just fry them with regular tomato-garlic-onion. So here is what I made yesterday. Its super simple to make and digest and extremely flavorful. Wanna give it a try? Hell why not..with the ~ 100F we are averaging its good to give dear little tummy a rest from all the meat and indulge in easy-to-digest-antioxidant rich- greenies. Thats a new term. I like it :)

Ingredients:

20-25 okras.
half a tsp of all spice. Whole allspice is better.
2 tbsf of corn/ vegetable oil
1/3 tbsf grated ginger
1.5 tsp mustard powder
a pinch of turmeric powder
Parsley for garnish
Salt to taste

How to do it

Cut the stalk and the little end of the okras and each into three squarish pieces. Now Okras are little slimy. I don't like the sliminess of the okras, except in this dish. But you can do without it :) 
So try this simple trick: Take 2 tsp of vinegar and 1 tsp of lime juice and mix with the okras and let stand for 30 minutes. Wash off the vinegar and lime before using the okra. Takes off the sliminess.
I found this very helpful tip in this turkish cookbook I have recently bought. Anyways back to business
Heat the oil in a skillet on high. When oil is hot, fry the all spice in it for ~ 2-5 sec or till it gives off aroma DO NOT BURN IT guys :)
put the okra in the oil carefully and saute it for a couple of minutes on high heat, moving it around--often to prevent burning but not always, to prevent breaking. Just the right balance :). Lower heat and cover for another 2 minutes. Meanwhile mix the grated ginger, mustard and turmeric into a thin paste. Remove the cover and pour the paste onto the okras. Coat them evenly in the the mixture and cover again for another 10 minutes on medium low. Turn once or twice. Add water if  you see the okras getting super dry. Season with salt and garnish with Parsley.

Serve with tortillas or warm jasmine rice. Very cool on your stomach but flavorful on your palate. I loved this when my mom use to make it on those extremely hot summer days in India.

Happy eating and healthy living

Comments

taste traveller said…
Thanks for stopping by. I absolutely love okra - one of my first posts was on it. I think I'll try it with mustard seed sometime.
I recommend it.highly!
Do you mean geologist :-) when you say Earth scientist? ...Cause I'm a geologist! This is such a twist on okra which I grew up on - but as a soup! When I was in London a few weeks ago, I had it like this and was pleasantly suprised!
Olive said…
JW, Thanks for recommending this recipe, I'll try it :)

Popular Posts