Fries-- that aren't!

My sister (who btw is my most ardent follower--only in this blog) called me up this saturday and asked,  'How do you make those fried potatoes?'. Me being me--with a big cup of tea on saturday morning--started to talk about everything and nothing-- only to be cut short and told, ' I am holding the sliced up potatoes in my hand'. Ok. Point taken. Kitchen emergency.
That reminded me that I have not even mention this trick I have-- although it is one of my signature dishes! All there is to do is cut and bake. Ha. I do not have pictures. Now this is a problem. So R was like yeah--you need pictures baby. Very emphatically. I was in no mood for pictures or potatoes. Not for me---not for someone who insisted that taking pictures was the only reason to bake potatoes :)

But the important thing about these potatoes are these potatoes are important things :) Call that circular. But honestly, these 'fried' potatoes need only 1 teaspoon full of olive oil. I could not think of a more effective way of highlighting this point. oh Maybe do this ?


1 teaspoon full of olive oil :)


So read on...


Ingredients:

2 large potatoes sliced lengthwise-- I mean like fried potatoes.
There is a small trick to getting these right. Take off a bit from the one side of the potato and balance it on your cutting board with the cut surface on the board. And then cut of circular slices along the length. finally slice up each circular pieces into three pieces, cutting lengthwise. Neat ain't it?

Seasoning: you can do whatever you want. here is just an example

1 tsp of extra virgin olive oil
1 tbsf paprika--smoked, sweet --all is good
1 tbsf dried oregano. You can also use parsley, sage, lemon grass.
1 tbsf grated ginger. Optional
1 tbsf grated garlic--optional-but won't yo use it?
 black pepper and salt to season

Here is the only thing you do!

Preheat your oven to 500F for 5 minutes.  Toss all the ingredients in a bowl and lay the seasoned potatoes on a baking tray. Make sure each one is separate-- this ensures uniform heating of each slice. Bake at 500F for 30 minutes. Turn once. But do not open the oven for more than once (for turning the potatoes). This effectively traps the heat inside the oven. Which is very critical.

You have your lovely--lowest cal fried potatoes.  And You can ask for more :)




Happy eating and Healthy living!










Comments

Kim said…
These do sound delicious and I'm happy you don't have to use a lot of oil. I would probably eat the whole plate!
Jhonny walker said…
you can totally eat a whole plate...since it does not have them baddies :)
Heather S-G said…
LOL!!! These sound delicious :D
oh these look good, love your writing style so much fun rebecca, will also follow along
My Little Space said…
Hi Jhonny, thank you for stopping by my blog earlier and nice to meet you. This recipe sounds good for my kids. Thank you for sharing! Have a nice day!

Popular Posts