Chicken Afritada....Spain as I see it :)


Did I ever tell you that Spain in one the few places that I feel compelled to visit. I keep writing about places, which I think will be somewhere in Spain--although I have no idea if they really are. And no, its not because of just the food (which I love btw). Somehow Spain to me is this place which smells of paprika and the sun, a place where dark eyed maidens beacon you through red house-lined, narrow lanes and vanish, as you turn that sharp bend. A country where the sun kisses you, but never tortures you. The sea mesmerizes you but never drowns you .....

Is it anything like this?...

But of the many things that I think Spain is about, one thing I know for sure that Spain is about--well two things actually-- soccer and food. So when I found this recipe on a fellow food blogger, I knew I had to make it. However I changed a few things and well---turned out gorgeous.

So this time..lets follow the paprika---all the way to spanish bistros along the Mediterranean :)

Ingredients

Half a pound of Chicken. Drumsticks would be best. But I used whole chicken without the skin

one medium potato- cut into bite sized chunks

one large tomato- chopped

1 medium sized onion-- chopped

2 bell peppers-- the more colorful they are, the better it is.I used one green and one yellow

4 cloves of garlic-minced

1 tbsf paprika- smoked is good. But you can use sweet as well

1 tbsf lemon juice

1 tsp of sugar

1 tsp of cornstarch. You can also use all-purpose flour

a palmful off breadcrumbs. You can use seasoned ones as well.

1.5 cup of water

4 tbsf olive oil

Salt and black pepper to season

Parsley for garnish


So here goes the spanish league!

Heat oil in a non stick skillet. Season both sides of the chicken with salt and pepper. Fry them in the oil for 6-8 minutes on medium heat, sautéing or turning once. Do not move the chicken around much. Wait for it to develop the nice brown color. Once done, remove and set aside.

In the same oil add the garlic, onion and Jalapeno. Fry till onion is translucent. Add the tomatoes and wee bit of water (2-3 tbsfs), just so that the tomatoes don't stick to the bottom and start to burn. Lower heat and cover. This will let the tomatoes soften. Check every two minutes. Continue for 6 minutes or till tomatoes start forming a paste. Add the paprika, lemon juice, sugar, cornstarch and one cup of water. Increase heat till water starts to bubble. This is the tomato sauce in which we will have the chicken and the veggies. Season with salt and pepper. Remember though that there is also salt and pepper in the chicken.

Add the potatoes and cover. 5-6 mins. Shake once or twice. Remove cover and add the chicken back into the gravy. Give the skillet a good shake, Wait for 3-4 mins and add the bell peppers. Add the bread crumbs. Give everything one big stir. Add the remaining half a cup of water. Increase heat. And wait for the gravy to thicken. About 3-4 mins. Give it a couple of shakes.

Pour it into a shallow dish and garnish with Parsley or Basil. Serve with warm rice.

Thats my version of Spanish Afritada-- oh yes, did I tell you that is what is is called :)






Happy eating and healthy living!









Comments

Anonymous said…
Hello JW, WAOW !..what an enticing description of Spain ! My hubs and I talk of travelling there all the time... and I can think of nothing more ROMANTIC ( he is a MASSIVE soccer fan too btw) ! The chicken looks superb JW ! I actually have all the ingredients apart from the bell pepper. Is there any substitute you would recommend until I do groceries on Friday ? : ) ...as I might make this for dinner tonight and serve it simply with some crusty bread....
Kim said…
What a great description of how you imagine Spain to be! I'd love to go there myself one day. Sounds like a great chicken recipe.
oh yum, well Spain, is very hot in summer, a cool country and very cosmo in the cities love the new look of your blog and gorgeous profile pic
Jhonny walker said…
You can skip the bell pepper-- Mommy the cook. It will be fine :)
good luk
The JR said…
Love how you described Spain. I don't bell pepper either. But, other than that sounds like a really delicious recipe.

Ramona
Anonymous said…
Hi JW, So Sorry I completely forgot to tell you... but I tried the chicken recipe... and it came out fantastic. I baked mine however....as my husband loves the little crisp burnt bits... the combination of Garlic, Paprika was awesome. I put it all together in my caserole on the fire and then chucked it in the oven and baked it till nice and melty.

Popular Posts