Simple and Simplistic. Ramen with Pimentos shrimp and vegetables


When is it simple and when is it, simplistic?

I have drawn criticism for a few recipes (one example being this one) that are apparently simplistic. Asked to clarify, the offendant tells me that recipes (those she deems to be too simplistic) require a few ingredients, needs no expert to make but can please the crowds. 

Huh?
Can there be any such delicious recipes that has too few ingredients and is too easy to make? Can there be any such recipe that is too simple?

But, I do think that there are recipes that are simplistic, indeed :) Those we make and take joy in eating. But do not usually entertain with. And I am guilty as charged. Just not with the ones, I have been charged guilty with. Till date, there was no corpse to show. Today I unveil one of the crimes that  I commit every weekend.  A 'type recipe' that is not simple, but simplistic. But always a soul pleaser. Can't do away with that now, can we?

Ramen with Pimenton Shrimp and veggies. On a side note. This recipe is a method. You can very easily vary the spices and veggies to get awesome food (even healthy) from different flavored Ramen noodles they have in grocery. Try it. Occasionally :)

Ramen with Pimenton Shrimp and veggies

2 packets of Ramen. I like their new lemon shrimp. But the plain vanilla chicken or shrimp flavor will work just fine
2.5 cups of water or chicken broth.
A combination of crunch veggies. I half a pack of mushroom (sliced), a bell pepper (sliced), a medium onion (sliced). 
2 tomatoes cubed.
1 Serrano pepper (for heat)
A handful of shrimp. I like fresh
Cilantro for garnish.
1 tbsf garlic powder
1. 5 tbsf Pimenton. Pimenton is spanish Paprika. They come in all flavors. Smoked, sweet, hot. I like the smoked one for these
A tiny tiny pinch of chilli flakes
@ tbsf olive oil
Salt and pepper for seasoning


In a large pot, pour water, tomatoes and Serrano pepper. Bring to a boil. Boiling  broth (or water) with tomatoes and pepper adds flavor to the cooking medium for the Ramen, making them tasty from within. Add the seasonings that come with the Ramen. Stir. Add the Ramen. Lower heat and cook for 2-3 min till Ramen is soft but not mushy. Add the Pimenton, mix well. Add a bit of water if things get too dry. Season with a bit of pepper.
Dish up in two plate
While the Ramen is cooking, you may need some deftness at multi tasking. In a pan, heat 2 tsbf oilive oil. When screaming hot, add the veggies, mushroom. Stir fry for 2 mins. The crunch must be intact. I am using the word must here. So heed, fellow cookers. Add the garlic powder, salt and pepper. Mix well. Top each plate of Ramen with veggies.
Finally, after clearing off the veggies, add a bit of oil and add the shrimp. Season with a tiny amount of chili flake and salt. After 2 min, top off the Ramen-veggies with the shrimp. 
Garnish with Cilantro. And serve immediately. I mean right off the stove




All the work, the layering, the multi-tasking. Now that is not simple. But, this recipe does not call for nifty combination of ingredients that makes people go..hmmm. So ask me and I will tell ya, it is simplistic, to enjoy but not to be enjoyed with :)

Happy eating and healthy living.

Comments

It's your blog. You can write and post whatever you wish. :)
I agree with Murasaki. And I absolutely LOVE it when people cook "outside the package" with Ramen noodles. Awesome Recipe!
Jhonny walker said…
Thanks Murasaki and the alchemist :) ramen is good...oh my craving another bowl ful :)

Popular Posts