Paprikash


Never think that your 'simple' routine dish is boring. It can be different to someone.  And different is a very good flavor :)

That was a long long week of no posts.  But there is a reason. And I wish I could sing ' And the reason is you' :) But as life would have it, I was in a paleoceanography conference. Aha...that was a big word! But simply means studies about learning what the oceans were like much before...and mucher beforer :)

That's a new word there and I coined it just now!

Conference means, of course, good food. Not necessarily rich or exotic or expensive or even super tasty. But good, in the sense that it is different from the signatures of youself in a dish. I think different is a taste by itself. And that brings me to a favorite dish of mine. I first had it at Maria's place--my Hungarian friend Maria who is one of the best cooks, I know. Its called Paprikash. I was told that paprikash was the most common dish in Hungary and its something you made when you weren't in the mood for cooking. Maria made it because I was a close friend and she correctly assumed that she could make it without feeling like she was not being a good host :) But was Maria wrong or what!

Paprikash struck me as really different.  I was not used to the idea of so many types of paprika going into a dish. And the effect was crazy. In fact turned out that I fell in love...so much..with this dish that now it has become not only my to-go chicken dish. But also I make it to entertain people. And invariably everyone loves it.

So you see...'different' is a very important taste. So here is paprikash and trust me ' It is different' :)

Ingredients:

1 lbs of chicken. Preferably with bone in and some skin on. I use drumsticks.6-8 in number. Feeds 2-4 people. 
1 and half big onion. Finely sliced. The fine slicing sort of makes it good candidate for the sauce.
2 big tomatoes. Chopped
1/4th cup of red wine

1 tbsf of sweet paprika
1 tbsf hot paprika. You can substitute with a mixture of 1/2 tbsf of regular paprika and 1/2 tbsf of cayenne pepper.
2-3 cups of hot water. You can use chicken stock too.
2-3 tbsf of olive oil.
Salt and pepper to taste

All you do is heat stuff 

In a deep pot, heat oil. When oil is hot, put the onion in and saute for 4-5 minutes till they are well done. Add the salt and pepper. Add the chicken and cook for another 3-4 minutes till chicken is somewhat done. Add the paprika and saute no more than a few secs ( you don't want the paprika to burn) and then add the water, wine and tomatoes. Mix well togteher and cover and cook on medium heat for at least 20 minutes.  
If you have time, lower down the heat and keep heating for 40-50 mins. It takes on the slow heating flavors. But 20 minutes is good too. Just stir things now and then and check to see if  anything is sticking at the bottom. Add water accordingly. You can never over do the water in this dish! Remember its a stew like thing :) When you feel you have reached the desired level of chicken cooking and there is still more water than you would like in a stew turn up the heat and evaporate the extra water! 

Its very different. Very good and very very Hungarian. Serve it with pasta/rice and some yogurt or sour cream :) Wine of course is very important here :)



Happy eating and healthy living.









Comments

tinyskillet said…
It looks awesome and sounds wonderful. Nothing like tasting the comfort foods of another country! I would love that, how special Maria made that for you!
I love paprikash. I also add onion and bell pepper when I make mine. It's so flavorful and delicious! That's just another thing we have in common. =)
Jhonny walker said…
@ Lindsey : Thank you. Maria is very special :)

@ Ree: I put onion too..and I occasionally put in bell peppers..R is not such a fan of bell peppers :)
Dewi said…
Indeed, the only paprikash I know is Hungarian chicken dish. Yours look amazingly appetizing.
oh wow simple and tasty love it
The JR said…
Looks good, bet it is with onion added in!

Gave a great week.
Jhonny walker said…
Hi

@ Elra: That's the only one I know...but as Maria tells me, every home in Hungary has their own version of it!

@ Rebecca : Yep..simple is good :)

@ Ramona: Of course there is onion in it! tons of it :)
Hi JW,

I was thinking onion, which I noticed you add, but I meant to say sour cream and bell pepper. =)

I know dairy isn't nice to your tummy, though. =(
Paprikash is one of our favorite dishes in our kitchen and a good quality paprika, as you know, makes this dish. I've never combined the sweet and the hot paprika together - I'll have to give that a try. Sounds delicious and perfect for the cool weather we're having.
Sam
Namitha said…
Simply delicious...yummy recipe
Heather S-G said…
This sounds amazing...and comforting, as well. YUM! =)
Jhonny walker said…
@ Sam, gulmohar and Chief: A perfect one for the late summers and early fall.I guarantee
ohh boy.this was amazing........just loved the flavours of paprika.and its so gorgeous but so easy to make........i can see a whole winter full of paprikash:)
Jhonny walker said…
Hello Dreamer,

Yes its a true winter stew alright :)

Popular Posts