Ramen but better


I have mentioned often, and have even posted a recipe, for ramen noodles. You heard right. A recipe for the horrible tasteless stuff we all hate and yet crave. Ramen noodles. I love it. But this is how I have it. 



Okay, guess now I have some readers. I could hear you all laughing and leaving out that door. But I knew, once you saw what I mean by ramen noodles, you wouldn't be ..well leaving without giving this guy an audience. But before I tell you the secret for creating such a ramen, I guess I should tell you why am I am so crazy about this. Why is it that a healthy flavorful food maker like me is sooo much into this stuff which has no health benefits and by itself is not even remotely tasty. And is even harmful if taken a lot.

As always it started when I was little. In India there is a variant of ramen noodles. Its called Maggi. And today it comes in all kinds of flavor-- hot garlic, manchrian etc-- but back when I was little,  a solid decade ago, it had only three flavors. Tomato, Chicken and Masala. It was the last one that was pure heaven. Even today,when I have Maggi, it has to be Masala flavored. A tangy, spicy hot say saucy mixture of wriggly carbs. Out of this world. And I was never allowed to have Maggi. My mom never allowed me and my sister to have maggi. For good reasons, as I now understand. But not when we were little. And all we could do was despair that our freinds at school brought this awesome Masala Maggi for lunch while we had to be content with cucumber and jicma and fruits and veggies :( 

And from there stems my, and my sister would agree I am sure, desire for ramen noodles.  I can tell you that I make it in a way that has gotten the biggest food snobs asking for more. People just cannot believe that Ramen can be this good. But it does :) As I shall tell you that recipe. Its no joke :) :)

But I do suggest that you resist making it. I know its difficult to resist making Ramen noodles when it is this good and this comforting. But honestly its not good for you at all. I myself don't have it more than once a week. But boy, I live for that day :) So buckle up. Here comes Ramen....the way you never knew possible

Ingredients

1 packet of ramen noodles. You can use any flavors--I like chicken, Asian, shrimp. You can also use the low sodium low carbohydrate variants. It does not matter. 
Get an assortment of colorful veggies and chop 'em' up. I like bell pepper, tomato, green onions, garlic and spinach. 
Cilantro or parsley
1 green jalapeno. Take the seeds out and slice it.


In fact, I add veggies to add color and flavor to almost any dish. Even a white or brown rice salad.

1 tsp of paprika
1 tsp of cumin
1/2 tsp of chilli flakes
A pinch of turmeric for color. Optional
1 cup of water 
2 eggs. Optional.

This is where the magic happens!
Heat water in a pot. Bring it to boil. Add the ramen noodles and the spice pack that comes with it. Let the noodles be almost done. See, boiling the noodles with the spice pack allows more infusion of the flavors (if you can at all call it that) into the noodles. So its just a step more than boiling it in hot water. Next when you add your 'super' spices, thier flavors will only be enhanced. Add your veggies, green chili/ Jalapeno, and let it go for a minute or so. Add the paprika, cumin and chilli flakes. And let it boil for another couple of minutes. Add water if you think its going dry. In another skillet, scramble the eggs. You can also whisk th eeggs, season and microwave it for 3 minutes. Dish up in the serving bowl.
Pour the noodles in the serving bowl over the eggs and season with salt and pepper. Stir in the cilantro/ parsley and spinach. 

Have it with a hot beverage-- like ginger tea on a crispy, lazy foggy morning. You will know what I am talking about :)

Happy eating and not so healthy eating. But does it matter  for a day? :)

Comments

Is this Maggi is instant noodles? We have a Maggi instant noodles here and is my all time favourite.
The JR said…
Don't laugh, we eat them all the time. And follow the directions on the package.

Sometimes we do add egg and ham.

Luv the stuff.
Linda said…
Sounds yummy. I love ramen noodles.
I love maggi but I always add so much things too it lol
Jhonny walker said…
glad to seee I am not alone in this one :)

Popular Posts