Adding spice to life--'Extra' ordinary 'days'


I have to come to a very important decision. One night, every week would be a cuisine night. And the best part is I would not know which day it would be. Totally will be dictated by my mood. Or better to say, my and R's mood :) Adds that extra level of mystery..don't you think?

 You know this, like everything else, stems from my childhood. In our house we had very strict regimes. Not to say they were kind of bad or very restrictive. But strict, nonetheless. But the good thing was there was always a 'day' to break those routines. In very predictable ways...but a something out of ordinary of course. An extraordinary day..so to speak. For example Friday evenings when no school-home work. Sunday mornings for extended TV time. Wednesday school lunch would constitute a sandwich and not fruits and breads. So just very predictable ways on predictable days to break an equally predictable routine. It wasn't very restrictive. But...it was strict. And these little welcome changes, albeit not totally really changes, would amount to immense and totally unpredictable happiness for me and my sister. The joy of friday evenings were never the same...one was always better than the last; the TV time always brought together friends from neighborhood and the happiness that flowed was never the same; the lunch box always held its charm-- the fillings were different you see :)

But since this is a food blog, I will mention one such ' break day' which still lingers in my memory as fresh and fragrant as the aroma of the food I am talking of. So breakfast in our household used to be simple and a boring affair. Bread, eggs and milk. This might not sound boring or unusual to many of you, but to put things into perspective especially that of a ten year old--all other families in the neighborhood and those of my friends in school had varied and spiced up lovely breakfasts. Fries, Indian breads, curries etc. Bread clearly wasn't as great :( 

However, every Sunday morning..breakfast used to be different. It used to be semolina (something like couscous)-- cooked with milk, sugar, cardamom, bay leaves, raisins and cashew-- and served with deep fried Matzo-like things (spicier) and ginger tea. I cannot tell you ...how favorite that special meal was to me. And I cannot emphasize how awesome and fragrant it was. To this day, I have almost never woken up on a sunday morning when I haven't craved this food. Not one single sunday. And I have never made it :)

So that is kind of where I come from. And comes the need never to stick to routine and to break a non existant routine with unknown cuisne on one day..unfixed in time...

From now one..I will feature a cusine night...and let you know how great it all went. So far we have had Israeli, Mediterranean and ...today's featured Malayasian. Malaysian chicken noodle soup. Awesome. And thanks to three hungry tummies for such an excellent and simple recipe. By the way, I figured that if you did not have lemon grass at your disposal, the rind of lemon works great as a substitute :)

So, here is to breaking non existant rules and having extraordinary foodie days!






Happy eating and healthy living :)

Comments

The JR said…
Sometimes it's a good thing to break out of the rut and try new things!
Trish said…
well, first of all I loved reading all about your predictable routines....grin...and predictable NON routines....even a bigger grin! I love what you describe as your Sunday morning special meal and how it evokes such memories still. Perhaps you can share that meal and the recipes from that some time, n'est pas? This recipe does look good though and I am glad that you have a 'one night a week' break...what fun!
Kim said…
Great idea to have a themed night each week! The Malaysian Chicken Soup looks exotic and delicious.
Breaking out of the routine is the best way to enjoy something new. I crave porridge which is what I grew up on with brown sugar and sometimes raisins..until it is too hot in the summer to want to eat it.
Thank you for the mention :) I am so glad you actually tried the recipe :)
I try all sorts of themes to keep myself from boredom lol.
My Little Space said…
Good on you! I think I'm a little straight to myself too. Glad that you enjoy the meal! Have fun.
Cheers, Kristy
My Little Space said…
Good on you! I think I'm a little straight to myself too. Glad that you enjoy the meal! Have fun.
Cheers, Kristy
theUngourmet said…
Your Sunday breakfasts do sound delicious. You should make this! Your soup looks delicious as well. :)
Namitha said…
There are some thing I too crave for but never make them myself :D Malaysian chicken noodle soup sounds wonderful..such a wholesome meal.Tummies blog is great :-)
Thanks for visiting Collaborative curry and also for your sweet comment :-)
Kathleen said…
I love your new idea! I'll look forward to hearing about more cuisine nights. This soup sounds delicious.
Jhonny walker said…
hello all,

Thanks that you all like the idea of a cuisine night..maybe we can all do that and post..the food blogdom looks awesome a place for ideas :)
Mary Bergfeld said…
I think thats a terrific idea. I can't wait to see what else you come up with. Your soupis just delicious looking. I hope you are having a wonderful day. Blessings...Mary
sayantani said…
ohh breaking away from a routine is always like a fresh air. love your idea of foodie night. sounds interesting and the spread you have made is delish. last year I also made one such Malyasian soup called curry laksa. love the way they mix things in oup...very filling and aromatic.
Betty Manousos said…
That soup looks divine!
Thanks a lot for your lovely comments on my blog. I love your blog.
I am now following you!
Hope you'll visit me again!
Wishing you a lovely weekend!
Betty
Jhonny walker said…
@ sayantani: I have to look up this curry laksa..I totally agree with you about how aromatic and filling Malayasian soups are :)

@ mary and Rebecca :) :)

@ Betty: I will for sure and thanks for visitng me too :)
This is wonderful. So nice to make your acquaintance. And we're in the same city. Awesome!
I'm glad you and this mysterious "R" are enjoying cuisine nights. That sounds fun. =) I hope you've since made the breakfast you speak of from your childhood?
I'll be stopping by for a visit again. Stay in touch.

~~Terrianne
great meal Jasmine would love this always says peas!

Popular Posts