Ranch 99


I kept hearing tales about it. I knew it was one of the best things to have happened to California. I knew people got great stuff out there. I knew what it was. But I never found the time to get there myself. You have any clue as to what I am talking of ?

Ranch 99.

On an unusually warm December morning I found the time to hitch a short ride to Ranch 99. The ride itself was fun, cos' me was filled with anticipation of all the goodies I was to see. And maybe buy a little. For cheap...yada yada yada...:) And boy was it a great place! I did not loitre as much as a grocery freak like me would like to. But in that short 20 minutes I knew it was one of most fun grocery places ever.

Live catfish in giant aquariums. Lobsters. And some other fishes too. There were the regular fish varieties of course. And you will not believe it when I will say, that at that store I came to know what a whole tuna/ salmon/ haddock actually looked like. Oh! I did not mention prawns-- tiger prawns.  I mean these look like the real thing you get in fancy Thai-Vietnamese-Japanese-Chinese places. The noodle Aisle was another revelation. I mean just the sheer variety was mind boggling. Mind boggling. I tell ya. 15 types of simple rice noodles. Bean noodles and oh so many types of ramen noodles too. It was real fun for me to pick up as I have no idea what these were. If you ask me, I enjoy shopping that way too :) It is like opening a package. You never know what you gonna find unless you open it. In this case , eat it.

And if you are a fish- seafood person like me and you haven't had the good chance of visiting one of these stores...I  would say you put it on your list of to-do-very very-important things in 2010. Maybe even make a new year resolution out of it :)

Of course I did not come back empty handed. I bought  a ramen noodles, which was so garlicky that I can't bring myself to eat any other ramen noodle flavor. And I could eat. Believe me :) I got a lovely big tin of assorted biscuits-- my favorite type of food. I can have these-- beware these are not cookies but simple biscuits--for lunch, dinner, breakfast, tea -- you name it I have it :). Continuing with the list of stuff ; I got some nice tiger prawns, rice noodles and some prawn balls.

And I made simple Sphagemein with the noodle and stir fried the prawns with cumin and garlic and they tasted out of the world. That just shows why I crave chinese food so often :)

Here you go!






 And in case you are wondering about the chicken in there it is just simple chili- chicken (A dish which makes everyday a day to celebrate). I do have a fantastic, easy-peasy recipe with the prawn balls-- but that will have to wait a couple of days. For  now

Happy eating and healthy living!!


Comments

Kim said…
It sounds like a wonderful market full of foodie adventures. Your meal looks delicious and full of flavor.
ICook4Fun said…
Ranch 99 was my fav store to visit when we were living in OC, CA. I just love their fresh seafood there.
Linda said…
We have Ranch 99 here in WA. Too overwhelming for me. I prefer smaller asian markets. Downside is they get even more crowded than Ranch.
ROAD TRIP!!! Anyone want to drive through Kansas and pick me up?
ann low said…
How I wish can be at Ranch 99. Sounds interesting!
SE said…
we have a similar store a Korean called Hmart !! lot of varieties of everything..
The JR said…
We don't have one. Darn it, would love to shop in one!
wow that place sounds like food heaven!!! great noodles
Trish said…
I'd be spending hours in that place...sounds like my kind of market!
buffalodick said…
I really like places like that!
Erica said…
That sounds like a great place to shop!
Ashley said…
Wow! Looks like you had a great adventure - the food looks delicious :)

Popular Posts