Prawn Balls- simply gorgeous :)


Okay, this is gonna be my last post about stuff that I haven't really had much to do, but ended up being great anyway :) Don't you like that sometimes? How you chance upon some good stuff and all you do is add your own touch and voila! you have everyone literally eating out of your hand? :)

I remember a fun incident. Not from my childhood. But very recently. I have often mentioned my very good friend Tamar. Now she is not someone who likes very spicy food. And we did have really good cocktails often times and we ended up nibbling on some apricots or dried fruits. I like to also munch on spicy mixes. But I never really offered her any, as I knew she did not like spice. Or at least I thought so. And then one evening we were all out of apricots and I pulled out a rare stash of spice mix that my grandma gave to me last year when I was traveling in India. And she loved it! I was amazed. It was rather spicy for me too. But she just adored it. And that kind of changed her attitude to spice. She still does not like it when things look scary..but other than that, I suppose she always really liked spice..just did not get the combination right, when it came to heavy spices :)

That brings me to today's post. I mentioned buying some heavy-garlic-flavored prawn balls that I bought from Ranch 99. To tell you the truth, I have a thing 'about' mashed stuff that I haven't had the chance to witness first hand. It may have to do with me...but I have a feeling I am not alone in this one :) I see the nods :) Anyway so I was dilly dallying on making those. And finally one evening, I had no chicken-fish etc and the only things left were the prawn balls. It was like I had to make something of those. R, in a very characteristic R'ish way said I should just fry them like crazy. I am not such an oil fan. So I decided to treat these well.

With tomatoes and paprika, and more garlic...boy it was heaven!  I did not expect it to be this good. But then when you have prawns mashed up with  garlic and salt and pepper...You would have to really really really good cook to screw it up

So here is what I did. And sure as hell, I did not measure up as a super good cook :)

Ingredients:

10 prawn balls
1 big red tomato- coarsely cubed
one medium onion- chopped

3-4 cloves of garlic mashed
2 tbsf smoked paprika
1 tbsf cumin
juice of half a lime

2-3 tbsf good quality olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste
A handful of coriander or parsley for garnish

There is nothing really to do!

In a shallow skillet, heat the oil and fry the onion for 2 minutes or till translucent. Add the prawn balls and keep sautéing for another 3 minutes. Add the tomato, paprika, garlic, cumin and lime juice.



Add some hot water. Simmer for 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Take it off the stove and garnish with parsley or coriander.

Serve with warm pita bread or over Jasmine rice.

A simple dish to love and to cherish!





Happy eating and healthy living!



Comments

Tasty Trix said…
Love, love, love this! It is simply gorgeous.
The JR said…
Interesting. Prawn balls, never had one.

Have a great weekend.
Sayantani said…
I always look at the food picture first before getting into the writeup. so today when I looked and see round prawn balls I was curious. the dish look amazingly good JW. the worst part is we dont get readymade prawn balls here :-(
Trish said…
Hmmmm....I bet I could get prawn balls at our T & T supermarket. This looks very very interesting my friend....and delicious too. The right amount of flavors to make it on my list of 'to try'.
Chef Fresco said…
Thanks for visiting our blog! You've got some great looking posts! These prawn balls look amazing and I am very intrigued about Ranch 99. :)
Reeni said…
I've never even heard of a prawn ball! Where have these been all my life? This looks so incredibly delicious!
Velva said…
I have never heard of prawn balls until I read your post-hmmm. Interesting, I will have to pay more attention when I am shopping.

Glad your friend took the leap and enjoyed the spice mix your grandmother put together-It seems like your grandmother had just the right combination.
ann low said…
I love to make prawn balls with prawn and squid paste~~you know, the Chinese way of cooking :)
Unknown said…
yummm i love prawwwnnn balls! my mum adds squid paste in it...too lol.......
Sarah said…
These look delicious and I will try making them soon!
Erica said…
Prawn balls are new to me! That sounds delicious... I have to look for them at my local market.
Jhonny walker said…
Hey evryone,

Thanks..I did not know that prawn balls very such a delicacy. I just thought it was me who was ignorant :)

I totally recommend it. It is like an additional thing after meat-fish- eggs- veggies etc to make lovely dishes with!
Ashley said…
What an interesting recipe! Looks wonderful :)
s said…
excellent recipe..a great party snack..will be trying this soon. Thanks a ton.

Popular Posts