The Everyday Pear Cake


Every time Spring comes around- by the way, I say March is Spring too but April is really spring-I just feel like deserts, everyday. Which is why I love all the 'welcome spring' cultures. Holi (from India), St. Patrick's day (Ireland), Easter and others; there are so many more that I do not know about but I am sure those are just as lovely!  

Happy Easter, every one! 

I love Spring. There is nothing like longer days, warmer days, greens popping up everywhere, colors in the air...nature waking up...why the house must smell like sweet fruits and white wine and coffee. All the time. I welcomed Spring this year with an everyday pear cake using a recipe from the book "French Country Cooking: Meals and moments from a village in the vineyards". I tweaked the ingredients in the recipe to include some olive oil and powdered cloves, which heightened the flavors of the pears, only a tad.  

Paired with black coffee (I use beans from Yellikodige estates of southern India, sold by the Blue Tokai roasters and retailers) during the earlier part of the day, or with a glass of dry riesling wine (those from Washington state are quite exciting and refreshing) during the later part of the day, the cake simply does take the mind to a lazy day in a vineyard, somewhere nice.

Recipe: Everyday Pear Cake 
(I have added the 'tweaks' in ingredients in italics)

Ingredients
  • 1 and 1/4 cup of all purpose flour
  • 1/4 cup of corn starch
  • A pinch of salt
  • 3/4 cup granulated sugar (I used 1/2 cup of white sugar and the 1/4 cup of cane sugar)
  • 1 tsp of baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp of powdered clove (I used store bought, but fresh grinding will release more flavor)
  • 6 and 1/2 tbsf of butter. (I used 3.5 tbsf butter and three tbsf olive oil, because I love olive oil)
  • Three large eggs. At room temperature
  • 4-5 pears peeled and cubed. Reserve the juice. (I used extra ripe ones, since those were sitting on my table) 
  • 1/2 tsp of vanilla extract
Tips: Bring ingredients to room temperature before using. This will make the ingredients mix better and you will get a better outcome.

Instructions
  • Heat over to 350F
  • Line a 9-inch pan with baking paper
  • Melt butter
  • Whisk sugar and eggs (add one at a time) till the mixture is pale and fluffy. Note: You will not be able to see the pale color if you combine cane sugar. 
  • Mix the dry ingredients-flour, cornstarch, salt, clove powder and baking powder. Whisk lightly to break up any lumps and mix the ingredients well
  •  Add the sugar-egg mixture, vanilla and the butter to the dry mixture. Whisk well
  • Fold in the cut up pears and juices into the batter. 
  • Slowly pour the batter into the baking pan
  • Gently move the pan to remove any air-bubbles 
  • Bake for about 45 minutes (check to see if the cake is done by inserting a toothpick at the center and if it comes out dry the cake is done
  • Let cool and remove from the pan
  • Sprinkle confectioners sugar on top




Serve warm or at room temperature. With fresh pears or whipped cream. I like mine with coffee or Riesling.

Happy eating!

Comments

Popular Posts