Braised chicken and vegetable: one-pot one-stop wonder


A friend currently pointed out that my weekly blog has turned into a biweekly, maybe kind of post place.
Feels good to me missed and yet guilty to have not posted. But more importantly...

FEELS GREAT TO BE BLOGGING!

Thank you dear Subrashish (the obsessive blogger with a passion for interesting history  of 'stuff') for reminding me of what I love to do.

Return of the prodigal daughter (I am not very prodigal, am I?) is best celebrated with a simple hearty french dish that I have been making quite a lot. A simple chicken and veggie one pot wonder that h is perfect for spring. Has all the flavors of the retreating winter and the upcoming spring. But be aware, the wonder comes at a cost of no spices and and  hence you would need the freshest vegetables in town (dig rabbits dig). Who needs a whole lot of stuff when ingredients are nice and juicy. Fresh and creamy :)

Braised chicken and vegetable: one-pot one-stop wonder and leaves a spring in its wake

Ingredients:
2-3 lbs of chicken. Bone in. You can leave the skin on. You can also use lamb for this one.
1 big onion. Coarsely sliced
A bunch of small carrots (not baby ones) with their tops intact and slightly trimmed
A cup of peas. Whole or just pods are fine
4-5 cloves of garlic minced
1 cup of chicken stock or hot water
1 big lemon. Zest and juice the lemons 
Olives (optional)

In a pot, heat oil. Add the chicken/lamb and brown on all sides. About 4 min on one side and 2-3 mins on the other. Add the onion, garlic, carrots, peas and mix well together. Add the hot water/stock slowly scrapping all the bits at the bottom. Bring to a boil. Then lower heat, add the zest and juice and let it cook covered on low heat for ~ 45 mins to an hour. Add olives and mix well. Let cook for another 10 mins.



Is delish with the new red potatoes of spring and gas of hearty Red :)

Spring is here!

Happy eating and healthy living!

Comments

The JR said…
That looks like a very filling meal.
To my guide,

Hey! that was kind...thanks a lot ...
BTW this must taste yummy...

...from an obsessive blogger :-)
Anonymous said…
Lots of very good reading here, thank you! I had been browsing on yahoo when I uncovered your post, I’m going to add your feed to Google Reader, I look forward to a lot more from you.

Popular Posts