Flavorful way to health-- steam em'..will ya'?


I have only recently figured out the joys of steaming edibles. It started with fish ( of course, why am I not surprised? :)) and then it has spilled over to veggies and even chicken. I find it delightful to simply steam edible stuff and then give it a spicy rub and let the whole thing sit for sometime. Amazingly refreshing..  especially since spring is in the air and days are longer and noticeably warmer. This technique was born more out of necessity and laziness than curiosity or anything more fashionable.. Pure laziness which sometimes grips, even me. And what an antidote to that feeling :)

And, I can see those hawk eyes, looking at me saying, 'whatever girl, thats not cooking'. No it isn't. And that is the fun part of it :) But honestly, you can use this to make simple veggie stuff for the sides, when you are prepping, say a grand meat dish. Low calorie, healthy but not bland, not cooked veggies and not even salads! Gives those fries a fair competition, if I may say so. And I am a big big fan of fries, especially oven baked ones :). This technique can also help you with simple fish and veggie lunches on the lighter side. And you know, it is one way of unleashing your culinary instincts, that sometimes never gets a chance to be unleashed for fear of ruining a great looking recipe! I mean what cab go wrong? Nothing! you are just steaming and rubbin :)

Depending on your choice of fish, veggies and even chicken...and the mood..you can go crazy with the spice mixture/rub. And you get tons and tons of lovely sides each time you are cooking! how great is that? 

So with no more ado...lets get straight into it

Ingredients:

There are really two parts: the choice of your veggie and/or fish and or/ chicken. Or all. Just make sure you are steaming them properly. Fish and veggies can be steamed at the same temperature and for the same time..but chicken would need longer and at higher temperatures, of course. And the spice rub. Today's is just an example. Feel free to get dangerous :)

I chose the following to steam

1 medium potato. Cubed to bite size pieces
1 carrot. Sliced
1 cauliflower. Cut into bite size bits
2 cloves of garlic. Smashed 

Spice rub
1 tbsf smoked hungarian paprika
1 tbsf cumin
1 tbsf poppy seeds. Optional. You can also use herbs like Dill, Marjoram or even nice spring of fennel or  thyme.
A splash of lime. Bright bright lime. Always good :)

1 tbsf olive oil
Salt and pepper for seasoning


Steam steam steam:

Steam your veggies. Preheat to 350F for 10 min. Wash your veggies and leave a wee bit of water in them. Add the garlic. Cover your oven friendly container with a foil and seal it carefully. The steam will work wonders on those veggies and the addition of garlic is gonna infuse the veggies with nice garlicky flavor.hmmm. Stick the veggies in there for a solid 20 min. 

Meanwhile mix all the dry spices and herbs (if you are using them) together and add a bit of salt. Did you know that adding salt to spices brings out their flavor nice and big? 

Anyways bring out the veggie and open that foil. Breath that flavor. Isn't it gorgeous? Okay now, drain the water that is there. Transfer the veggies to the serving dish. Add the olive oil and spice rub. Season with salt and peper. Add the lime splash. Toss nicely. Let the whole thing sit for 10-15 mins. Let all those flavors work their magic for ya :)

Serve with a nice summery cocktail..white wine, sangria...flavors abound and health abounds too :)


Happy eating and healthy living!

Comments

too hot and humid around here... steaming up is impossible... but i will be home one day and I promise to use my steamer for more than just carrots
Jhonny walker said…
hahaha...Gosh I like hot and humid :) goo dluk with that plan of one-day-I-will :) :)
Trish said…
Jhonny...I am so delinquint in responding to you and all people who comment on my blog...been uber busy (geeze I can hardly say that word without 'seeing' the son roll his eyes)....grin! Thanks for sticking by me though. And oh, I so agree.....steaming is the best! Love the way the flavours infuse and the crunchy goodness of 'just cooked'.
ya, steaming is a healthy cooking style, and easy to prepare too.
The JR said…
steaming is good. I tried roasted cauliflower lately and like it a lot too.
Mae said…
You know, I've never really infused steamed veggies with flavors, and I'm not sure why. I have to start, though. I like this!
oh we steam veggies on our rice cooker all the time love it
Kim said…
I've really been wanting to purchase an actual "steamer". I love the ingredients in your rub, sounds flavorful and delicious.
I just came across your blog and I am so glad I did! This looks fabulous!
Chef Fresco said…
Very healthy! I used to eat steamed veggies all the time but have gotten out of the habit. I'm with you in that some great spices can make any potentially 'bland' dish wonderful. I am new to the concept of steaming fish and chicken though - I shall have to give it a try!
Erica said…
I love to steam my vegetables!!!I usually sprinkle cumin and paprika on mine....delicious!
La Bella Cooks said…
The spice rub sounds delicious and full of great flavor!
tasteofbeirut said…
You know I bought a steamer and after a couple of times I stopped using it! Now you have made me change my mind and I will try the spice rub so it won't be so bland!
Jhonny walker said…
hey everyone!

I am so glad that so many of you think this idea of spice rub with steamed veggies work! I am doing so many versions of it...it is super crazy :)

Popular Posts